Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Protein?

kristin25

Cavy Slave
I used to be vegetarian growing up, but my mom cooked for us and made sure we got lots of vegetarian protein. As I got older, I found it too time-consuming to get vegetarian protein (soaking beans, cooking them, making whole grains to go with etc.) Do you have any suggestions for faster full-protein ideas? This would help me eat less meat. I only eat poultry and fish, and don't really like it. Is that a good start?

I eat beans, milk, cheese, yogurt, and soy for my protein. I also take a B12 vitamin and a multi-vitamin.

Eating only fish and poultry is a good start, maybe if you decide to go vegitarian, you can cut out one at a time.

Does anyone drink soy protein drinks? Is that good too?

As far as the beans go...use canned...so much faster. I recommend cooking large portions and freezing individual sizes for quick meals. If you spend one day a week preparing 3-4 different meals and freezing them you could end up with enough food for a month.

Asian markets carry a lot of vegetarian items. Try some different stuff. I once bought a scary product labeled "vegetarian balls" (I know, I know...sick jokes come to mind) Basically I think they were frozen balls of tofu that cooked up quickly in stir frys. I also added them to soups, pastas, etc...they weren't bad.

Buy premade hummus and whole grain pita bread. It makes a great lunch if you eat it along with fresh veggies. Health Food stores often sell vegetarian "Hot Pocket" style foods that are really yummy and fast.

One of my favorites is vegetarian tamales. They are a mess to make but the taste is worth it. I fill mine with a refried black bean filling...you can add whatever spices you want, cheese, salsa, etc, even fill them with a tofu mix, vegetarian "meat" substitute...anything you want..... They freeze great and heat up fast. Different sauces on the top help jazz them up.

I used to drink the protien powders when I was younger...I hated that stuff. Maybe they are better now so ive it a try.

I have not heard any good things about the protein shakes. I have never had them, so I don't know.

My vegitarian favorites are of course the pasta (linguini, spagetti with marinara and soy hamburger meat, cheese ravioli, etc.) vegitarian bean chili with brown rice (boil in the bag rice), Boca burgers, brown rice and kidney beans, and PB&J sandwiches.

In fact- I am going to go make a Boca burger right now.... mmm..

Well.. I went out and found a soy protein shake today. I don't know if you get President's Choice products outside of Canada. But, it's their chocolate soy protein shake, and I had it with half organic milk and half water and it was pretty good! I wonder what it would taste like with bananas and strawberries in the blender? And thanks for all your advice so far!

Last edited:
I am on a diet and I drink home made shakes that I think have a good portion of protien, you can have vanilla or chocolate.

In a blender I put a half cup of ice, cup of milk, regular or fat free. Bananna, 2 eggs, a alittle bit of ovaltine, or vanilla. It is very nice to drink and it fills you up.

I am unsure where you are but you can buy single serving protien powder, like at GNC, there is a online place called www.vitaminworld.com. they sell it.

As far as adding fruits you can do that also, like starwberries and blueberries. They taste well with bananas I do know that.

Hey Voodoo, I am not a big tamale person but I do like the ones were you can add cinn and sugar to the masa mix, makes it sweet. More like a deseret tamale.

Last edited:
Eat tons of beans, yogurt, and things such as that I have a awsome book on that kinds of things.

There are also grains that are relatively quick-cooking. Couscous has protein, and can cook in 5 minutes or less (depending on the kind you get). There are some rice-and-bean dry mixes that can be put in boiling water and are ready in minutes as well. If you are making a stir-fry, salad, or anything of that sort you can chop tofu and put it right in for an extra protein boost. I've had some Thai meals (noodles with peanut sauce, lemongrass, etc.) that were good, not too expensive, and easy to make in the microwave or on the stove. You can add nut spreads to sandwiches--think outside the peanut! Nuts and soynuts are also great sources of quick protein. I swear by my soynuts!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.