Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Dental Spurs

BellyBoop

Cavy Slave
Hello all! A year ago I adopted Bella, my abysinnian guinea pig, who is now almost three years old. Three months ago she had to have dental spurs on her molars grinded down. Today, they were grinded down again because they had regrown. For those who have had this procedure done, you know how expensive it can be. It's not really about the money as I would do anything for my little girl, but it is extremely frustrating that the spurs grew back.

I had cut down on pellets and veggies as per the doctor's request and I have ALWAYS provided Bella with unlimited Oxbow Timothy Hay. Today the doctor could only suggest cutting back even more on pellets and veggies to encourage Bella to eat more hay to grind her teeth and prevent the spurs from coming back.

I hardly give her any pellets to begin with and I'm worried the spurs will just keep coming back no matter what. When it comes to hay, Bella is so extremely picky. She only eats certain parts of the hay and sometimes she turns down her hay because she doesn't like it. Sometimes I'm lucky and get a bag of hay she likes, other times I'm not so lucky. I switch up her hay by alternating with Botanical hay and Orchard grass. Again, it's hit and miss with her.

Can anyone offer some advice on what to do?

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see a fellow Ontarian :). That sounds quite frustrating! I feel for ya! My only advice would to be to keep trying different hays. Are you able to order KMS online? I have never heard of a pig turning their nose up at her hay, what with the variety (you can get 2nd or 3rd cutting timothy and bluegrass as well) and quality.

Good luck!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I don't think import laws permit her hay to be shipped to canada. Pellets yes, hay no. Have you tried growing your own fresh grass? Fresh grass has just as much silicone in it as dried and its just as healthy but the amounts need to be gradual as to prevent stomach issues. You can give fresh from the lawn as long as its not treated with anything in the summer and grown your own in the winter. Try a variety of kinds maybe you'll get lucky and find one she likes. I definately agree that you should cut down on pellets and veg until she is able to eat enough hay but in doing so you need to keep an accurate record of her weight to besure that she is eating enough.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I don't think import laws permit her hay to be shipped to canada. Pellets yes, hay no. Have you tried growing your own fresh grass? Fresh grass has just as much silicone in it as dried and its just as healthy but the amounts need to be gradual as to prevent stomach issues. You can give fresh from the lawn as long as its not treated with anything in the summer and grown your own in the winter. Try a variety of kinds maybe you'll get lucky and find one she likes. I definately agree that you should cut down on pellets and veg until she is able to eat enough hay but in doing so you need to keep an accurate record of her weight to besure that she is eating enough.

I have had it ordered and brought over for 2 years without problems. As for the grass- it is a good idea but you would need to grow a LOT of it to provide it in unlimited quantities (once she is used to it) 24/7.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Huh I could have sworn that her hay could not cross international borders. Well if you can get her hay I would as she has the best...

I don't know if you would have to grow a LOT of it. There are fast growing grasses out there that supposively only need a few days. You don't have to do exclusively grass you could mix the two in the winter and pick unlimited quantities in the summer. I have found with my 3 piggies that a gallon bucket stuffed full was all they needed for an entire day. I go out in the morn and pick half a gallon of orchard?? (crab grass I believe its called) and then remove after a few hours, give them their pellets, then give them their veggies and then pick another one in the evening before dark...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.