Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size 2 wide vs 3 wide

macysmom

Cavy Slave
I'm planning on expanding my 2x4 C&C cage. I know bigger is better and I am thinking of going from a 2x4 w/ a 2x1 loft to a 3x5 w/ a 3x2 loft. I plan on making the long side in the front so that it will fold down so that I can just slide the coro out for cleaning and changing the fleece. My question has to do with my height, I'm only 5'2 and I don't know if I will be able to reach the far corners to get to my furry little friends. So are there any pros and cons, or advice from those of you that have cages that are 3 grids wide?

I'm 5'7" or 5'8" and have my 3x5 on an 18" table. I am stretched to the max reaching the corners. If you have the ability to access 3 sides of your cage then you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. My cage is on a 1 grid tall base and I want to keep it that way if I can for the storage that it provides.

If you make a second level I highly suggest doing a cage that's 3 grids wide. It'll make up for the room the ramp takes up.

Good Luck

Thanks Catahoula, that is one of the main reasons I am thinking of a 3x5. The ramp we have now is a grid that is bent into a U shape with coro sides. It technically only takes up 1/2 a grid worth of space but that stil seems like too much.

I have a 3x5 C&C cage and I am 5'6 and it's hard for me to reach the back corners, but I can't pull out the coroplast and it's higher than one grid off the ground. I am sure you will be able to reach the corners if you stretch but I really love having a 3 grid wide cage. It seems like I can fit more things in the cage and still have room for the piggies to run :) It's also great for storage under the cage! I have so much room for all my piggy stuff! Here is my cage:
2 wide vs 3 wide
I have a divider in mine for when I have a foster. It sits on four storage bins thingys (I have no clue what they are called :)) and there is one bin in each corner of the cage and I put all my stuff under the cage and in the storage drawers. Then, to make sure it doesn't sag in the middle, there is some wood under it to keep it level as well as a huge extra piece of coroplast I have! As you can see it's pretty much boxed in so I have no access from the sides, only from the front, which also make its a little harder to get to the back corners. It's well worth it though!

Hope I could help! :)

My cage used to be a two level 3x4, but now is 2x4. The 3x4 was great and the ramp didn't get in the way at all, but it was just horrible to clean, and I'm 6'. I don't have a ramp now, because I have the piggies divided up, so I can't really comment on how much space the ramp takes up, but even if I did put the ramp back in, I would keep it 2x4. I tidy it much more often now that I can reach everything. I feel like it's better for my piggies to live in a cage I can easily clean and don't resent, rather than a cage that frustrated me and often got quite messy.

I am able to get to my cage from 3 sides and I think that building it to make the front drop down so that I can slide the coro out will really help. My 8 yr old wont be able to reach the back corners, but Macy happily comes to the front for hand feeding. She is such a beggar. We are looking for another to adopt right now and it had also crossed my mind that a 3x5 would be easier to divide if we have to, hopefully not. Thanks for all of the replies, it is really helping me in making the decision.:)

I had a 3x5 on the floor. Hated stepping into it to clean. So I made a 2x5 stacked with ramp. Hated it. So now I have a 3x7 on a 1x2 base for storage and I hate it the least. I'm 5'3" so pretty close to your height. I love having all the storage (although if you are not skinny enough to fit inbetween the grids and things fall back behind it will be hard). My piggies love having all the extra flat space. I have my cage divided currently because I have a naughty bully pig that won't stop biting one pig and giving him absesses. It does hurt my knees having to strain all the way in the back to clean the cage but I have made some new cage pads so its easier now. Plus I use a regular sized broom to sweep out the back corners and if I absolutely have to I can step into the cage because I reinforced in with wood furing strips (3/4"x1 1/2" pieces of wood at the hardware store that fit just right in the grids) and tons of zip ties) and I don't weigh a whole lot 120lbs so it can take my weight.

Heres the one on the floor:

2 wide vs 3 wide

Heres the one I currently have:

2 wide vs 3 wide

2 wide vs 3 wide

Heres some more pics with the divider in a different place because Tweet was healing from his absesses and we lost a pig so the cage dynamics changed.

2 wide vs 3 wide

2 wide vs 3 wide

Also FYI my cat is THE most docile thing in the whole world and would NEVER harm the piggies. Most cats are not like this and should never be allowed in a cage and you should NOT have an open cage if your cat is remotely preditorial. My cat runs AWAY from field mice and has never hurt the piggies. He actually likes to cuddle them in the cage and he is sitting here waiting for Twinky to move so he can eat their hay...

2 wide vs 3 wide

I'm very sorry for the loss of one of your pigs. :love:

Onetwo I'm so sorry for the loss you suffered. Thanks so much for the all of the info and the pics. I think I'm going to go for it! If I hate it, I can always change it, it is a C&C after all.lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.