Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bed Bath and Beyond Utensil Holder Picas

arionat799

Cavy Slave
So I'm planning on using this:

(broken link removed)

1350811720323P.JPG

for Ginger's hay rack (That's the name of the guinea pig I'm getting) and was wondering if anyone else is and if they are if they could post a pic of it (how it looks being used) Even if it's not the exact same thing (a different utensil holder or something similar) pics are greatly appreciated.

TFS!
and Merry Christmas...Eve!! :)

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Btw the title is supposed to say pics not picas lol

2Julia112

Cavy Slave
Hi Arionat799!

This is my guinea pig hay-rack, it's not quite the same thing, but close!
piggy.jpg
I'm worried about your hay-rack because the hay might fall out, unless the bars are tight/close enough together to prevent spilling, other than that, it sounds great!

Thanks,
Julia
:)

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Thank you (broken link removed) !! And I worried about that as well at first but I also saw that (broken link removed) uses it and says it works and here's a pic of another one that works as well (another utensil holder) that I found on another thread:

hay rack.jpg

Thanks a bunch (broken link removed) !!

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
For my boys I also use a utensil holder and they love it! :))

pinky

Cavy Slave
I really like the looks of it but wondered if there's any risk of them getting their head stuck between the bars.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know about the others, but they can't get their heads through the BB&B utensil rack.

sillylittle

Cavy Slave
I used to have rabbits in a home-built hutch, with the walls made of some kind of garden wire. As the walls got higher, the spacing got larger, until it got to a 4"x4" spacing. What we did was get wire and go up, and across, basically splitting that 4x4 space into a 2x2. If you're really concerned about them getting stuck, or you notice that they can get their head into the spaces, you can just go get wire and cut each of the openings in half or thirds. If you want, I can go take a picture and you can see how we did it, it's a little hard to describe.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I used to have rabbits in a home-built hutch, with the walls made of some kind of garden wire. As the walls got higher, the spacing got larger, until it got to a 4"x4" spacing. What we did was get wire and go up, and across, basically splitting that 4x4 space into a 2x2. If you're really concerned about them getting stuck, or you notice that they can get their head into the spaces, you can just go get wire and cut each of the openings in half or thirds. If you want, I can go take a picture and you can see how we did it, it's a little hard to describe.

I am always looking for new ideas and would love to see a picture.
Thanks

sillylittle

Cavy Slave
Gah, I completely spaced while I was home and forgot to take the picture :crazy: I'll see if I can have my parents take a picture of it for me.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
When I went to BB&B expecting to get the hay rack, I discovered that they switched the store around and I couldn't find it anymore!! I asked them, but they showed me something different. I eventually had to choose between something that looked like the "Jumbo Hay Rack" but was bigger, and I worried that Ginger would be able to get her head stuck in between the bars, and something that would hang in the cage but had such tiny holes the hay prob wouldn)t come out. I chose the 2nd one, but I am sorry I did b/c she can't even get the hay out! I just took the hay rack off of the grids and tipped it sideways so she can just get the hay out and put a pile of hay in the corner of the cage. I'm going to try to find something else for the hay rack. Any ideas? I like the idea of a tissue box/shoe box w/ hay stuffed inside and wanted to know if you have any ideas to keep her from chewing on it...? Thanks.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you have any leftover coroplast, you could make one out of some. I have a grid bent in half kind of like the one in the pictures 2Julia112 posted and one of those unlimited pellet holders stuffed with hay instead of pellets. :) I don't like cardboard racks because the pigs tend to chew it all up and the hay gets all over. (At least my pigs chew them all up.)

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
I really like the looks of it but wondered if there's any risk of them getting their head stuck between the bars.

I have 2 of these exact same holders for my hay. When I brought my piggies home the youngest one was 4 months old. At that age/size she was able to stick her head between the bars, and thankfully it never got stuck! She's now 5 months old and no longer tries to reach so far into the hay to eat.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I am going to go to Bed Bath and Beyond today/tomorrow and I will look for it again.

@ Fizzlepop40: If I can't find it again today/tomorrow do you mind if I steal your idea? That seems to be the best option. Does it attach to the grid(s)?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
@ Fizzlepop40: If I can't find it again today/tomorrow do you mind if I steal your idea? That seems to be the best option. Does it attach to the grid(s)?
Yep, you can use my idea. :) Which one are you talking about? The pellet feeder or the bent grid? If you mean the pellet feeder, yes, it does attatch to the grids. The bent grid, I just ziptied to the side of the cage. :)

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Yes, the pellet feeder, thanks :)

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Okay! I hope it works as good as it does for me! :D

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
I never thought of this!! Such a good idea. I do have a very tiny baby though so I might have to hold off :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.