Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C for rabbits

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I've been wanting a rabbit for a while. I won't be able to get one till quite a while, but just so I know here are my ideas of how it'll live. I want it to live free range in my room, and just be locked in its cage at night. I'd leave the door open during the day so it can wonder in and out. Since it'll just be it's bed and where it's food & water from - how big should I make it? I don't want to make it too big, and not too small. Also, I'll probably be keeping some of my guinea pigs in my room so I want to have some space left for me to walk about! Of course I won't let them interact with the rabbit at all though. How do you litter train a rabbit? I've been told rabbits are nasty and I shouldn't get one.. so that's putting me off a little...

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Aww. Not all rabbits are nasty.. I find them much more affectionate than guinea pigs. One way of showing affection is giving you a little nip. (I know weird!) But you can teach them not to do that. I keep my rabbits outside so I do not know how to litter train them but I know it is possible.

The size of the cage depends on what size rabbit you want. I would personally say for a small rabbit you could have a 2x4 or a 3x4 with three levels. Rabbits love to jump and having different levels with give them exercise!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
For a good sized rabbit I would say at least a 3x3 or 3x4. For a dwarf, maybe a 2x4. They definetilly need around three levels. Coroplast should go on the ouside of the grids.

Daisy Duke
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

MeganT

Cavy Slave
from what i have heard and what i found with my rabbit, its easy to litter train them. you have to be really diligent at first but it gets easier after about a week or so. first of all see where they naturally tend to go pee in the cage (it should be in a corner) then put a litter box there. mine tended to pee in the litter box but poop every where else so just whenever you notice they've gone in the wrong area move it into the litter box. sounds kind of gross but if your rabbits healthy it shouldnt be runny or anything so not that hard...if your letting them go free range i might keep them in the cage more often than not for the first little bit so they get used to using the litter box (or else you might have a right mess on your hands).

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Here are some websites on rabbit condos: (broken link removed)

Here are links to rabbit care (including litter training): (broken link removed)

Rabbits are prey animals and most will require that you earn their trust; but once you do they are wonderful.

Spayed/neutered rabbits are easier to litter train (and there are many other benefits to getting your rabbit fixed). I would reccomend adopting from a shelter or rescue as most rabbits will come already fixed and you will be saving a life. There are also tons of breeds, sizes, colors, and personalities available.

I think a 2 x 4 with at least two levels will be fine, since the rabbit will be out all day.

Daisy Duke

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
wow thanks! You're all very helpful! The type of rabbit I was thinking of getting was a mini lop.. though me and my mum have taken an interest in rex rabbits too. Do rabbits have to live in pairs like guinea pigs do? I doubt I'll be able to get a rabbit for quite a while yet - definately not before September. It'll be good to plan ahead though.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
Rabbits are not nasty, I have one. My rabbit is much more affectionate than my guinea pig, by far. My rabbit is also litter trained, all I did is keep working a few times every day put the rabbit in the letter box, and the rabbit at first will jump out, but don't give up.

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
I have a mini rex. I decided on a mini rex because of their personality and fur. They are Sooooo soft, like velvet. I have a 4 1/2 year old so it was important to me to find a breed that would be well suited to a child. He is perfect for her. He loves to play and will sit still for petting and loves to snuggle. He loves playing 'tag' with my daughter. She thinks it's the best thing next to 'the veggie tales'! I have a big ball on our deck when I let him outside he loves to push the ball around - back and forth, back and forth - nudging it with his nose.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
A mini rex sounds cool! I wanted a lop because of their size, and a rex because of the feel of their fur. So maybe it would be perfect for me! Are they a little rare though?

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
Myspoiltpiggies said:
A mini rex sounds cool! I wanted a lop because of their size, and a rex because of the feel of their fur. So maybe it would be perfect for me! Are they a little rare though?

No, they aren't rare. I got mine from a breeder, although it is preferred to adopt from a shelter. I didn't know that you could get rabbits in a shelter when I got 'puppy'. My mini rex is a bit smaller than my lop. My minirex is 5-6lbs and cute as a button. Check out my pictures! I love snuggling him because he's like one of those really soft stuffed animals you can get from the toy store. There is also virtually no care needed with their fur because it is so short. He does shed but not nearly as much as my lop who's hair is all over everything - just like a cat.

I luv my buns!

Moxie

Cavy Slave
I have two mini rexes....I love them so much they are great!

Here are some pics of them:
C&C for rabbits

C&C for rabbits

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
They look sooo incredibly cute! You know, now I'm going to be bugging my parents for weeks, hehehe!

Daisy Duke

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
I have a mini rex as well and I just love him to pieces! HE is so soft and loving. He has the best personality. See my pics.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
he's sooo cute too!!

Daisy Duke

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I've just cleaned my room and got rid of loadsa stuff that was taken up loads of space... and as I'm going to be putting three guinea pigs in my room, I don't think I'll have enough space for a rabbit :eek:( plus I also already have a hedgehog in there. My room isn't that big, it's medium size I'd say. But it is the smallest room in the house. Its annoying that I have the smallest when I have loads of animals to care for :eek:( but I am the youngest so I got the smallest.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.