Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Lice - Best treatment? Vet or no vet?

Rooen

Cavy Slave
I've had my guineas for about a week now and they have settled in. They're an estimated 6 weeks old, and are fairly healthy (they drink regularly, eat regularly, etc.), but seemed to scratch a bit more than normal.

I picked up one of them and noticed something weird in his fur. Upon closer inspection, I found it to be little wriggling worms, and they appear to be everywhere. They range between white and this weird light brown color.

He's black, so they were much easier to see than on my other piggy, who is red/white. But I did see at least one on the red/white boy, so I know that they're both infected.

I've been trying to sift through the massive amounts of information here and on the net, but I'm still concerned.

Some sources say to just buy Advantage (The original and not Advantage II) and treat. Others say to go to the vet and get ivermectin.

I have no idea.
I'm more than willing to go to the vet, but if it can be treated with just Advantage, I'm also ready and willing.
What is the best course of action to take in regards to lice?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Regular Advantage works very well on lice. Go to www.guinealynx.info and search under lice and you'll find the dosage info. You don't use a whole tube.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it were me, I'd try treating the pig myself first, and if it didn't work, I'd go to a vet.

Sarien

Cavy Slave
If you're going to treat your piggies, Advantage works great. Here's a great link from Guinea Lynx on how to treat them yourself.

Rooen

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys for all your sound advice. I've got some Advantage in the mail, and it should be arriving shortly. I'm going to treat them and if all goes well, the infestation will be gone within the next month. (Thank goodness!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.