Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

nails

Bonnie Branham

Cavy Slave
I have a question, my sons guinea pigs nails are so sharp, can u cut them or take them to the vets.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can cut them. I think the best thing to use is kitten nail trimmers -- I find their scissor-like handles easier to control than regular human nail clippers.

If the nails are white, look at them carefully under a bright light. You'll be able to see the blood vessels in the middle of the nail. Where that little red line ends is the end of the "quick" and there's no nerve endings beyond that point. You can clip right up close to that without any pain to the pig.

If the nails are black, you'll have to guess. I'd clip just a little, and if the pig doesn't squeal, then clip a little more. Or you can compare a black nail to one of the white ones, and just trim about the same amount.

It definitely helps to have two people to do it. In our house, one person holds the pig up against his/her chest with two feet on the same side sticking out, and holds a carrot up to the pig's mouth. The other person clips the nails on that side, and then we turn the pig around. The carrot is the most important part of this process -- the pig is so busy eating it's not paying much attention to what we're doing to its feet!

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
You can cut them. I think the best thing to use is kitten nail trimmers -- I find their scissor-like handles easier to control than regular human nail clippers.

If the nails are white, look at them carefully under a bright light. You'll be able to see the blood vessels in the middle of the nail. Where that little red line ends is the end of the "quick" and there's no nerve endings beyond that point. You can clip right up close to that without any pain to the pig.

If the nails are black, you'll have to guess. I'd clip just a little, and if the pig doesn't squeal, then clip a little more. Or you can compare a black nail to one of the white ones, and just trim about the same amount.

It definitely helps to have two people to do it. In our house, one person holds the pig up against his/her chest with two feet on the same side sticking out, and holds a carrot up to the pig's mouth. The other person clips the nails on that side, and then we turn the pig around. The carrot is the most important part of this process -- the pig is so busy eating it's not paying much attention to what we're doing to its feet!

Hahaha! I tried to do what you did with two people by myself! I gave her a carrot and I used small nail clippers and I just petted her foot and then when she wasn't paying attention I clipped a nail (she has white nails) but she caught on to me and stopped eating her carrot and tried to bite my shirt lol. So I gave up for now, but I got at least two nails on each foot! pretty good for my first time. The vet did it the last two times while she was getting treated for a URI. I need to get that stuff you put under their nails in case you clip the quick of their nails. Where can I get that? whats it's name?

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
People nail clippers works better for me because I'm more used to holding it rather than the pet clippers. Carrots may not be his favorite, try giving him more than one food to bribe him into staying still. The powder you're referring to is a wound powder, you can find them in most pet stores, vets, and especially in stores where you can find a variety of pet grooming items. My pigs made a blog entry about me cutting their nails, it might help :)
(broken link removed)

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think the one most people use is called Kwik Stop, but when I need to I use corn starch.

guinealora

Cavy Slave
You can also take them to the vet, if you're too scared to cut them like me. It can get expensive though, so it definitely helps to get over the fear. You can take them to the vet for the first trim and they'll show you how to do it. My vet charges $10 per guinea pig.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I am so lucky to have a piggy so chill that nail cutting and dental check ups don't even make him flinch. So rare to have such a relaxed piggy!
But my little Winifred... It's a mission to get her calm enough to stay still for nails. Holding her close and tightly is all I can do and over time she has gotten better at it.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
any suggestions for cutting their nails if you're the only adult in the house?:melodrama

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
For Winifred, I hold her in my lap with her head facing either to my left or right, tucked into my cardigan. I then cut her back and front nails on the side of her away from me. I use my arms/wrists to hold her in place. Talk soothingly, it makes a difference. Try to hold the paw and spread the nails with one hand, and steady to cut with the other.
Then to do the other side I just turn her to face the other side.

I should probably take pictures... It's hard to explain! By following this process, using my body and arms/wrists to restrain her, she feels safer being close to me and wriggles less!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I hold mine like a baby, upright, facing away from me. I use cat clippers. I don't make the cut until I know it's right and then slowly press down until I have a hold of the nail and then clip. If you cut too quickly, they might move and you can have an accident. If they are resistant, I have them on all fours on my lap facing away and use my left hand under the body and use my pointer finger to hold their right foot up, etc. I press down with my body a bit to make them feel more secure and sandwiched. I also hum and make little sounds to distract them. The back nails are easy when they sit upright because their little legs stick out. Flour and corn starch don't sting like some of the other powders that are used to stop bleeding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.