Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cat can get paw through grid

Pamp81

Cavy Slave
Our two piggies are absolutely loving their new c & c cage! They run laps, and Vanessa is popcorning all over! I am so glad to have found this site--we are enjoying those little girls more then ever now, and they are so much happier! To think we had them in a pet store cage before! We didn't know!
Question: Does anyone else's cat put its paw through the squares in the grids? My adult cat can get her paw in there. Not very far of course, but I'm worried she could swipe one of them sometime if they were close to the edge of the cage. Am I worrying too much, or should I double grid?

Pam P.

Is your cat aggresive or overly playful with the pigs? If not then you may not need to worry about it.

If there is any doubt about your cat's intentions then you should cat proof the cage by either doubling the grids to make smaller spaces or you can get hardware mesh, cut it and zip tie it to the cage. Hardware mesh is the same type of stuff they put on the bottom of wire bottom cages and hutches (I know, yuck, but it has other purposes). You will find it in the fencing section...sometimes you will find smaller rolls in the window/screendoor section. I had to nail it onto my screen door to keep my dogs from ripping through the screen.

My cat's have decided that the GPs are too scary to mess with. Occationally during floor time a cat will be nearby and either the cat gets up and leaves when they come near or pops the GP on the nose (no claws out) before running for cover. The pigs act like it's a game and often chase the cat from the room.

One of my cats also likes to play with the fish in my pond. I have caught her sticking her paw in the water for the fish nibble on her but she has never tried to catch or harm one. Usually she sticks her tail in the water and swishes it back and forth for the fish to chase.

Sorry to get off the subject...just popped out.

You can also buy the mesh grids from Linins N' Things or the kid's grids from Target.

Thanks for the replies. We have been keeping a close watch, and it seems that the cat (Lucy) is more playing than being aggressive. I think we will cat proof the cage more anyway, just in case. Also, we just built the cage last weekend, and it is still on the floor. We are going to place it atop more cubes today or tomorrow, so that should help too, maybe. (The grid cubes will be strong enough, won't they? I looked at some of the photos in the gallery, and it looks as though it should work. We have a 2 x 4 cage.)
Thanks!
Pam P.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.