Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Quick Question

Squint96

Cavy Slave
One of my dad's friends is making me a new cage and it is going to be a two level five feet by two and a half. My only concern is that if I choose to get a second pig for Squint (three total, one on the bottom two above) will it be big enough? My parents don't really want more than five feet.
Let me know what you think, Thanks

pinky

Cavy Slave
Minimum standard for two pigs is a 2 x 4 which is 28 x 56 so you'd be fine with your 30 x 60. I think it would be too small for three pigs, even if you have a ramp connecting both levels. Males need more room than females. It would be okay if you had two pairs, one pair on each level but I wouldn't have a single one on one level and two on the other level.

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
It could work. The minimum for 3 is 10.5 sq.ft. and recommended size is 13 sq.ft. Your cage would be 12.5 sq.ft., which is in between the minimum and recommended. If they don't want the cage to go longer than 5 feet, will they allow the cage to be a little wider/deeper? Maybe 3 ft by 5 ft. Then it would be 15 sq.ft.

Remember the guidelines are just that, guidelines. Bigger is always better if you have space. Boars need more space than sows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.