Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hello(:

katiebby21

Cavy Slave
Heello.
My name is Katelin,
I'm a future owner of two female guinea pigs.
I am getting the guinea pigs in late November/Early December.
I made this profile for more information so I know everything when I actually do get the guinea pigs.
Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

There are several things you need to read before getting your pigs.

1) Start with Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit, and read the articles -- they're listed down the left-hand panel on the page.

2) Click the Home button at the top of this page and read about recommended cage sizes. Please don't be fooled into thinking that a cage from a pet store is an adequate size for two pigs.

3) Read the "Read Me" and "Sample Menus" stickies in the Diet and Nutrition Forum here.

4) Line up a good source for hay and pellets. Buying them from a pet store is by far the most expensive way to get them, and they're also usually very low quality, especially the hay. If you're anywhere near horse stables, you may be able to get timothy hay from them or their supplier. If not, you can order online from (broken link removed) (also GREAT for pellets), (broken link removed), or (broken link removed). I think you can have Oxbow shipped in larger quantities to a feed or pet store, but am not sure about that.

We'll need to see pictures when you get your pigs, of course!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hi, Katelin, I hope you're adopting from a shelter or rescue rather than from a breeder or pet store. There's a lot of great information on here to get you started. Feel free to ask questions about anything specific and you'll get a lot of suggestions. Coroplast cages are the way to go. There are a lot of photos on here to give you ideas. Welcome!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome! There is tons of info on here and helpfull people! So please look around and if you have any questions just ask! I can't wait for you to get your piggies and we love pigtures around here!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.