Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Help.. new rescued piggie...

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
He's really impacted.. how do I get it out? I got some out by squeezing it. He did real well.. gonna give him a bath now.. will that help loosen some of that up?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
You'll need Q-tips and mineral oil, or olive oil also works. Here's a great page that really helped me: https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html. A bath may help...try a warm-water soak instead.

Thank you so much for rescuing this piggy.

Good luck!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ollie was my impacted boy. I started out using q-tips to clear him out but when the poop becomes more like a large poo lump rather than individual droppings, I would use my thumb and index finger on both sides of the sack, pull it toward his body (to open it up) and then pull my fingers together and push the poop ball out. It was stinky as all get out but effective and quick.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. I seemed to have gotten his mostly cleaned out. I'll def have to keep an eye on him.

I didn't know if I should use oil or anything...

He's eating hay now... I had to put him w/ the other ones.. I know we're supposed to quarantine then, but I saw the other pigs, and while there were a ton of them and while a bit neglected, healthy.

He was shaking after his bath and scared to death. Added Darwin, started eating. Added Gumball and they're getting along so well... jumping and eating and no problems now... seem to be quite happy! I'm so excited!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
If you do use the q-tips, a bit of mineral oil helps lubricate the process meaning less chaff on his sensitive boy bits.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Billie, that is my absolute favourite poop sac cleaning video ! She does such a wonderful job !

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Thank you for taking the little guy in and cleaning him out! You know we need to see a picture of him, right?

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
Ok, he is not impacted anymore. He's pooping real good ... a lot :D I'm excited. He really seems to be warming up to humans... he and Gumball are having some issues at the moment, so they're not together... they wheek and talk and what not, but fight when face to face... don't get it ... oh well... little by little

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you plan to put them together, then do it and leave them. Don't keep separating and then reintroducing them. They'll have to sort the dominance issues out every time they're together, and that's just stressful for them. They should be introduced according to Guinea Pigs Social Life Introductions (about halfway down the page), and then left together unless blood is being shed or one is being harassed to the point that it can't eat.

That's assuming that your cage is large enough for two boars. If not, then just keep them separated until you've got a large enough cage to put them in. If you're not familiar with recommended cage sizes, click the Home button above and read about them.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
I've read both ways.. one says to do it slow, others say just put them together... it was getting pretty nasty. New dude is used to living w/ a lot of boars and seems almost wild. He kicks up bedding and lunges... We're gonna wait till he mellows a bit. Guinea Pigs Social Life

This site says to go slow w/ introduction... so it's a bit confusing as to what to do.

Maybe I read it wrong... ? I can't find that part now.. gurr!

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
How large is your cage? Adequate space is the most important factor with males. The other thing you need to do is completely disinfect the cage to eliminate the scent of the others. It's their territory and the scents will get all of them agitated.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Introducing them slowly by repeatedly putting them together and separating is going to stress them out. Each time they come together, they start their dominance routine. The longer they are together, the more progress they make but once they are
separated, they have to start over the next time. There is no starting where they left off last time. So doing that is really making it harder on them.

Once introduced, leave them to it, unless there is bloodshed. It could take a few hours but eventually, they work it out.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
no bloodshed but there were some roll around on the ground fights...

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
no bloodshed but there were some roll around on the ground fights...

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Did you introduce on neutral territory? Outside and away from the cage?

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
yeah. they did well at first and then started w/ each other. We'll get it right... Darwin bit Gumball on the penis when they first got together.. they get along well.. as long as Darwin doesn't try to mount GB

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Well mounting is a normal part of dominance behavior. If they do that, it would be completely fine.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
Haven't gotten to the mounting part. Still teeth chattering and hair pulling. I got nailed in the leg in the crossfire... Gumball is settling down some.. conseading... I guess.. Darwin is the smart one and just gave up the ghost

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You mean he died?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.