Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from the UK!

Bev Morris

Cavy Slave
Hello from the UK. I am new to owning GP's, having bought 2 for my 7yr old daughter who has little or no interest in them since the first week! Me however, I am obsessed with them. I love talking to them and holding them, and want to make them as comfy and happy as possible. They are currently in a large outdoor hutch, which we are moving into our garage (not really a garage, more an extra room) for the winter period now that the weather is cooling. I am interested in making a C&C cage, and have been lucky to have been given a large number of grids, approx 40, so the sky really is the limit! The only problem I have is that my husband does not want them permanantly indoors so we need to come to a compromise and I am thinking of building them more of an outdoor adventure playground that they can be in all day, and them pop them back in the hutch at night. My only negative is the toilet cleaning. I swear they poop more than a small horse! I clean out their house at least daily, and it always seems dirty - am I feeding them too much? I don't want to kill them with kindness but as well as pellets and unlimited hay, I do like them to have fresh fruit and veg every day. There is so much advice about how much to feed, I am confused. They have at least one carrot every day, with the tops, and I feed them a large handful of parsley as this is their favourite food at the moment. As well as this they have one other fruit / veg every day, either an apple, a kiwi, a few strawberrys, or cherry tomatoes. Am I overfeeding?

Bev Morris

Cavy Slave
Thank you. Looks like I could be overdoing it a little! I will keep this list, it will be very useful. I would also value any ideas on keeping them entertained. Being a full time worker and mum, I don't get to spend as much time as I would like with them, so would appreciate any ideas for them to entertain themselves with. Also, can you explain what popcorning is? I have never come across this before

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
They popcorn when very happy, their whole body jumps straight off the ground. My Roger looks like a little leprechaun clicking his heels together. Paper bags with a door cut out on the end and another on the side is one of my boys favorite things to play in. I make the door by cutting several strips, they love to peek through those. Depending on the size of your piggies you might be able to just use brown lunch bags. My guys have to use the grocery store size:p! You can also stuff an empty toliet paper roll or paper towel tube with hay, cut it verticaly so your piggie doesn't get stuck in there if they are small enough to get their head inside. They also love tunnels, I use soda, shoe or any other large cardboard box.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I don't know that you're overfeeding but the carrot tops and parsley have too much calcium to be fed in those quantities. Please read the chart above, and also the "Sample Menus" thread on that forum.

Also, they only need 1/8 cup of pellets per pig per day.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi there and Welcome to the forum,

When I first started to investigate the reality caring for guinea pigs my husband, like yours, did not like the idea of them being indoor pets...

When we learned that their little bodies cope only in the temperature zone of 16 degrees celcius to 26 degrees celcius and that they are not adapted to thrive outside of this 10 degree zone we had to rethink things completely.

I even thought it would be healthier for them to be outdoors. I've learned though that temperature is extremely important, I nearly lost my Maximus von Lichtenwalder one night, indoors when we had a freak snow storm, and no heater was left on. In the morning he was so hypothermic he no longer even shivered until he began to warm up. It was VERY scary. I was exceedingly lucky. I'm in New Zealand which is similar coldness, and dampness to the UK. Cold and damp and guinea pigs don't go well I'm sorry to have to say.

I've looked up and ordered a Heat Mat Pet Pad Quality off the SHOOF catalogue order number 203 552. It's super energy efficient and comes on in the area they lie down on. I have not trialed this for guinea pigs but I absolutely recommend that you look into adequate heating if your guinea piggies have endure outside or garage temperatures; as a first thing to sort in their adventure lifestyle planning.

Oh and big clumps of grass with soil around the roots goes down like pure joy for my boy, I replace it every 24 hours with another clump. He entertains himself in there wildly sometimes.

Oh and piccies we LOVE pigtures here...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.