Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Bedding Ideas?

ohiocountrygirl06

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know of anything else that I can use as bedding? In my current cage, I'm using pine and shredded newspaper and under that, I lay out flat newspaper to just roll it up and throw it away. I'm trying to collect things and figure out total how much it would cost be to build a c&c cage and I was wonderin' what other alternatives there are to bedding.

Other types of bedding that are commonly used are fleece (which is the cheapest, after the initial cost), aspen, wood pellets, and carefresh. I think there are more, I just can't remember what they are.

How often would I have to change or wash the fleece? I live in an apartment. So, I don't have access to a washer very much. And also, if I use the fleece, will they poop everywhere or can I so call "litter" train them?

How stinky it gets would depend on how big the cage is, and how many pigs you have. They would poop everywhere, but some pigs do their business mostly where they eat so a small litter box in that area with something like carefresh would mean less washing the fleece. Putting down a litter try also changes how quickly the cage starts smelling.

With a litter tray and small hand towels wrapped in fleece that I changed everyday and could easily hand wash I only had to change the cage once a week. I used the hand towels in areas they went that I couldn't put a litter tray.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.