Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Probiotics Questions

mickey1007

Cavy Slave
My two gps are currently on Baytril for a suspected UTI - there was blood in the cage but the urinalysis was negative. When I asked the vet about a probiotic she said it wasn't necessary. A few days later I found mucus in the cage and based on research here & on guinealynx plus advice from this site, I purchased acidophilus.

I found that sprinkling it on some wet veges an hour before giving them the antibiotic worked great for a couple of days but recently one of my girls has stopped eating the veges, especially the ones that have the acidophilus sprinkled on them. I attempted to mix it with water to give it to them via syringe but found that the acidophilus separated from the water.

Are there any other alternatives for giving them the acidophilus? I love the syringe with water idea because one of my girls has possible sludge and doesn't drink enough, am I doing something wrong - is that why it's separating?

The antibiotic is almost done - we have only a few days left. But one of the girls needs to get Actigall for the next two weeks. Since my vet said they didn't need the probiotic, I was wondering if anyone here knew if I should continue with it with the probiotic for the girl who will be taking the Actigall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately it does separate, so it is a pain to give. What I have found that works is to use a wide syringe (I believe they are 5 ml) and pour water in ~1/2 way full, while using one finger to keep the part you insert into their mouth from leaking. So, after you add the water sprinkle in the acidophilous. Then, insert in the other part of the syringe just enough so you can tip the syringe upside down without it leaking. Then shake it up, and squeeze all the air out so there is just the water and acidolphious in there. Then shake it again, and you are good to go. It is a pain, but it is well worth it.

I am not a vet, but I would continue on with the probiotic. My vet recommends continuing to give the acidolphious for 3 days after the antibiotic is stopped.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.