Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi everyone!

PickyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have 2 female guinea pigs. Coco and Tabby. There adorable and I got them both from craigslist. I've had Tabby since last ocotber, and Coco a few moneths after that. Coco is about 2 years younger than Tabby. Unfortuntly, they really dislike eachother. I have them in a c and c cage with a divider, but I would really like it if they would get along. I tried reintoducing them today, new ground, and a new fleece blanket. Everything was going normal, chatering, circling, almost nipping, until one of the guinea pigs lunged for the other and I seperated them. Both guinea pigs are a little shaken up. Both of them are okay though. Any suggestions? By the way the younger guinea pig, Coco, is larger than Tabby. I've noticed Tabby won't let Coco smell here bottom. WHich one wants dominance?

Here's Tabby
Hi everyone!

Heres Coco
Hi everyone!

And here's some of their cage
Hi everyone!

PickyPiggy

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hi, sorry you're having problems with your pigs. Have you read Guinea Pigs Social Life Tried giving them a buddy bath? Made absolutely sure that the cage is completely cleaned (bars, coroplast, bedding, dishes, hideys, etc.) so there no smell of either pig in the cage?

PickyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I thought you coulld introduce them somewhere neither of them has been before, and then if they don't fight, I would clean their cage. I might try buddy bath.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
Lovely ladies.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I tried reintoducing them today, new ground, and a new fleece blanket. Everything was going normal, chatering, circling, almost nipping, until one of the guinea pigs lunged for the other and I seperated them.

Personally, I would have left them for a few more minutes. Only separate if blood is drawn. The luge may have resulted in a bloody fight, but if one backed off it could have been a tussle. It is hard to watch but you have to leave them to sort their dominance issues out on their own unless there is blood shed.

I thought you coulld introduce them somewhere neither of them has been before, and then if they don't fight, I would clean their cage.

Yes this is true, but it isn't the magic solution. Some piggies just don't get along well, just as some people simply don't like each other.

Lastly, welcome to the forum! Good luck with your pigs, I hope that things work out. They are super adorable!

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum! Your piggies are adorable! Hope that it works out with your piggies and definitely look at the link bpatters posted, that really helped me when I introduced my two piggies!

PickyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! Yes, it is very hard to watch. I just wish that I could hire some guinea pig expert to watch them fight for dominance for me, and then everything would be good. I'll try and let them bond more, and reintroduce them in the future. I find it ironic that I have the 2 female guinea pigs in the world that fight. I thought I'd say that Tabby lived alone, where as Coco lived with 2 other guinea pigs before I got them. Does this affect anything?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.