Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where Should I Put The Doors?

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Hello. I am planning on redoing the cage for my 2 boars (hopefully 4 soon) and I can't decide how to do the doors.
I am still working on figuring out how to upload my SketchUp picture so here is the video I am trying to "copy." Guinea Pig C&C Cage - YouTube
And I might attach my store bought cage to the bottom and use it as a kitchen. It is a 2 level 2x3. I need help deciding how to put the doors.
Should they be like the ones in the video?
Should the bottom 3 grids come up instead of 2 (like the vid)?
Should the whole top come up or to the sides?
Or Should the whole front open up like double doors?
Thanks

P.S. What should I use to support the second level?

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Don't know if this is important but the cage is most likely going to sit on the floor.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
For 2 boars it would be a good size but for 4 boars, you'd need to make it bigger. I would make it at least a 4x2 with the two levels. I would also make the whole bottom part open up so that way you can reach in there easier and have access to the whole bottom part. Would make things a lot easier in my opinion. I would do like the person in the video did for the top and have the whole top open up on top.
To support the cage you could use a grid or you can do what I did and get a long piece of wood with a flat piece on one end and prop up the cage. It works really good and take up less room than a grid. Here is a pic
Where Should I Put The Doors?

It cost me a total of like $4 to make. I went to Lowes and bought a 8ft x 1.5in long piece of wood ($1.20) and got them to cut a 13in piece off it. Then I got a 2ft x 6in x 1in board ($3) and got them to cut a 5in piece off it then when I got home I screwed the 6in flat piece of board to the top of the 13in long piece and thats it! I propped it up in the cage and it worked great!

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I meant to put 2x4 in the parenthesis with the 4 boar thing. Thanks for pointing that out. OK I wasn't sure which way would be easier or sturdier. Thanks for the picture, too.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
No problem. Make sure to have fun with your cage while building it! I LOVED making mien :)

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I've wanted to remodel my cage since I got my pigs but it's pretty hard to do it when i make $10 a week and have 4 pets to take care of along with buying things for myself. (I am working on setting up a 2nd savings account for my pets only and I am going to make and sell toys for $$)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I understand! I dont work, only my husband does and we have a 3.5 month old daughter along with 3..soon to be 4 guinea pigs, 4 gerbils, 2 dogs a cat and fish! We live pay check to pay check so I do what I can lol A savings for the pets isnt a bad idea though!

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Yeah. I have 2 guinea pigs and 2 cockatiels and they are all spoiled rotten so they get all of my money. Thanks for the help.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Actually, only the main level counts. So for 4 boars, you'd need at least 2x6 on the main level. Bigger is better. Boars are very territorial.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
2x5 is better but if it cant be done 2x4 should work

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
OK I didn't know that the main level was most important. Thanks. Also what about for 3 boars? Would 2x4 or 2x5 work?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I used to have 3 boars in a 2x7 cage, and they still fight. I do not recommending getting more pigs. Have you thought of vet fees that will be adding to the cost of having more pigs?

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Well, I thought more about it and am not getting anymore but I was just curious when I asked about 3 boars. I have a savings account for things like that and have over $200 already. I am also going to set up a 2nd one as more back up. Thanks for the help everyone.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Its your choice. Only you can decide what you want to do, no one can make you do anything. We are just trying to help from what we know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.