Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Im Very Confused?!?! Help?!?!

MyLittleGuinies

Cavy Slave
So, I just built my first C&C cage about a week ago. And I JUST switched from CareFresh/Aspen to Fleece (so far so good) I have been feeding my guineas a lot more of a varity of veggies (went from just kale and carrots to kale carrots squash parsley cucumbers red and green bell peppers bananas grapes etc etc)

The concern I have is that my guinea pigs are sleeping a lot in thier new cage. I thought that because I gave them more room that they would be running around. They eat, use the bathroom, and sqweek as normal. Its just they are all comfy cozy in the fleece blankets and sleeping. In thier other small cage, they never used to sleep as much as they have in the past week that they have been in thier new cage. I mean when I say sleeping I mean eyes closed layed down on thier side passed out sleeping. Not the kind where they jump up as soon as they hear me coming... Is this normal? Am I just being to worried?! THANKS :)

-MyLittleGuinies :)

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
If they're sleeping with their eyes closed, that's good. It's an indication that they feel secure in their cage.

Your pigs may just have the Lazy Pig Syndrome. :) Mine does. She sleeps, eats, and poops for the most part. Then, when she's feeling active, she might run around the cage like a crazy pig. Just keep an eye on your pigs, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You may want to switch their beds around a lot to encourage them to explore. Cardboard boxes are also great for exploring. Here's a fun activity my pigs always have enjoyed: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/play-areas-floor-time/53093-fun-activity.html

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Ditto GPigs. It sounds like they really like their cage!

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
AH HA! think I may have just found the answer to Maximus von Lichtenwalder's behaviour change when he is long term on the queen size bed.... we had uncharacteristic snow and cold snap last week so we moved him into the room with the heat pump, put him on the spare bed - with a folded calzone snuggle single douvet/coverlet AND he's SLEEPING a lot more than normal since the change....
he runs a lot further too when he runs and popcorns. So he may just be relishing the new set up like your pigs MyLittleGuinea's?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.