Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Liquid coming out of eyes - OH NO!!

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hey All,

I could really use some advice about my guinea pig Squeekie. First, he's five years old and such a good little piggie!! I hate thinking he's not feeling well!! I noticed some liquid coming out of his eye. I took a picture - please see it and let me know what you think. Is this normal? I doubt because I've never noticed it before. It has improved since I took the photo.

Also worth noting that I recently noticed my piggies drinking more water than usual and thus peeing more. But I was hoping that was due to warmer summer weather. It is cool in my apartment now ...

Anyhow, Squeekie is eating and is active. I intend on taking him to the vet as soon as I can get an appointment. I was wondering, is this an emergency?

I suspect my piggie is diabetic ... I changed his diet and hoped that would help but I guess it hasn't.
I would really appreciate any and all feedback!! Love this forum, so helpful!! OH NO!!!.jpg
IMG_1481.jpgIMG_1480.jpg- Helena29

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Forgot to mention that he is also chattering his teeth ... but only occasionally. He stops when I hold him, feed him, etc. He does it for a few seconds - maybe a minute or two and then stops. Really do no think he is having difficulty breathing but I'm listening hard!!

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I really do NOT think he is having difficulty breathing. Sorry for the typo!!

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Eating their own poo - normal or sign of illness?

Hey All,

I posted recently about my piggie who had liquid surrounding one eye, drinking and peeing more than usual, chattering his teeth. I forgot to mention that I have also noticed him eating his own poo. Now, in the past, right after pooing, I would see him eat his own poo. But that was like once and that was it. More recently, only when I put him into his "jungle gym" - where he runs around he goes in there and eats poo after poo. I heard eating poo means he wants more protein. Could it be a sign of illness?

Thanks all,
Helena29
PS - I attached photo of his eye. It looks better now but I had never seen his eye like that. Should I take him to the vet ASAP? Or can it wait a few weeks? IMG_1476.jpgIMG_1479.jpgIMG_1480.jpgIMG_1481.jpgIMG_1482.jpg

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Re: Eating their own poo - normal or sign of illness?

All guinea pigs eat their own poop. Usually just the cecal poops, which are soft and you hardly ever see them because they reach down and pull them out and eat them right away. Sometimes they eat their fecal poops as well, which it sounds like what your pig is doing. What's his diet?

The eye looks like it needs to be seen by a vet. Is it just the one eye? It's possible he injured it. If it's both eyes it's possible he has an upper respiratory infection. Or, it could be mites. Sometimes pigs with mites will get crusty around the eyes.

A good cavy knowledgeable (exotic) vet should be able to tell you.

I forgot to mention that he's a really handsome pig!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
As I mentioned in your other thread (and you really only need one thread to ask your medical questions on), he most likely needs to be seen by a vet. If indeed the eye was injured he may need antibiotics.

Teeth chattering is a behavioral thing. He's unhappy or showing he's dominant.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
It is normal for pigs to exude a milky liquid from their eyes when they groom themselves. I can't tell from the photos if the liquid is milky. If so, you may be seeing it now because your pig doesn't feel good and is not grooming as well as usual. I personally would feel that in itself would be a reason for a vet check as piggies are extremely adept at hiding illness. Hope that you can get him in soon.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Re: Eating their own poo - normal or sign of illness?

Should I take him to the vet ASAP? Or can it wait a few weeks?
Generally speaking, anything with a guinea pig cannot ever wait a few weeks. Things happen very quickly with these guys and waiting, even a day or two, can be fatal. Are you weighing him regularly? If so, I'd go by the weight to determine if he's got a problem going on or not. If you aren't, I think the combination of all the symptoms would prompt me to get him in. By themselves, none of the things you describe are problematic, but the general change in behavior and all the factors combined, to me, would warrant a vet visit. Guinea pigs eating their fecal poos isn't necessarily abnormal, but it's not really common. Also, I'm not sure if by teeth chattering, you mean teeth grinding, which is fairly often a sign of pain in a guinea pig, especially if it's that noticeable.

I'd suggest a vet visit sooner rather than later. He is indeed a very pretty pig! I have a soft spot for red/orange piggies. Good luck to the both of you.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the replies and I'm sorry I started two threads. I am taking both piggies to the vet this afternoon - was able to get an appointment right away!! Yay!! Also, I agree that alone, the symptoms could mean nothing but together could mean something. They are due for their annual check-up anyhow so I will let you all know what I find out. Thanks again for the support!!

stellas_mama

Cavy Slave
Good luck at the vet Helena29. I know my GP has a milky liquid in her eyes when she's done grooming herself, but I have never seen that much before. Hope you get the help you and your piggies need!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.