Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

c and c cage questions, mostly regarding coroplast sizeing information.

Hamtaro_bijou

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

I am thinking of getting a c and c cage, since my piggy needs it. (still convincing family though)
Anyways I am having some issues with the coroplast, so I have some questions.

I am thinking of making a 2 by 3 cage, maybe with a second level I am not sure yet, But The thing is that since I have not build the grid part yet, I do not know how much coroplast I need.
I read on this site that for a 6 in wall you need 53" x 39'' but since my piggy is a chewer I want the coroplast to be higher so that he can NOT reach the bars to chew on them. (I really don't want him to get hurt) He is also a pretty good jumper and climber. So I want my coroplast to be about the size of the cubes, but now I run into the problem of how on earth will his water bottle attach to the cage? -_-

Now I also don't know if I should buy a lot of smaller pieces of coroplast I found a good deal of 2-3 dollar coroplast for about a 20 by 20 piece. so I would need at least 6 of those, or if I should buy a bigger one for 15 - 20 dollars. The bigger problem is that none of these pieces are exactly the size I would generally need so that means I would have to cut and fit pieces together. And then that means I would have to tape them together.. but wouldn't my pig be able to chew the tape? Although I know most people use tape, but I am going to use bedding not fleece so I can not cover the tape up.

Gosh I am so sorry for all the questions, but I really need this to be all planed out before I start to purchasing anything. And considering I have never made a c and c cage my mind is going all over the place freaking out about the smallest details.

Thank you guys all in advance

CCcages

Cavy Slave
We sell a 35x48 piece of coroplast for 4.00 on the guineapigzone site, so you'd only need two pieces. (Click on "Cages Store" on menu above) You should have enough with that to make the sides higher if you'd like and you'd only have one seam. Tape it down nice and smooth and he shouldn't be able to get at it.

I wouldn't make the coroplast the height of the cubes, though, because it would limit his vision and ventilation.

Good luck!

Pokepigs

Cavy Slave
From experience, I would recommend buying a large piece and cutting to size, scoring and folding. I didn't score it, and instead cut the sides and taped them together. The tape doesn't hold the coroplast perfectly together, so if the pigs pee near the edge, it can go through the cracks and get on the table. Plus, poo and hay get stuck in there, too.

As for the water bottle, you can either cut a little hole in the coroplast to stick the tip through, or put the water bottle above it and place a brick under it for them to stand on.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Well as for the drink bottle, you can just drill a hole in the coro to put the spout through. And it is a lot easier to measure from the grids.

Hamtaro_bijou

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys for all the answers! This is really helpful, I will check out the guineapigzone website, 4 dollars (I am guessing) seems like a really good deal!
Also the whole in chloroplast is a great idea, so I can just hang his water bottle like always on the bars and then just stick the little mouth piece through some sort of whole in coroplast? I have not thought of that, but it seems like it would work really well.
I have some of these types of cubes as a closet in my house already, so ill try to measure them to get a sense of the height and size of the coroplast.
But I am just wondering if any of you know what thickness coroplast is needed?

Thanks so much everyone, I am sorry I have so many questions ...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.