Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Site sluggishness

banklet

Cavy Slave
I really enjoy this website and this forum as it has really helped me to understand my piggies better as well as try to give them the best life possible. My only concern is the sluggishness of the site. There are times that a page literally takes 5 minutes or more to load. There are other times the queries on the site are as they should be.

Without knowing anything about the leadership teams technical skill I was just curious what kind of maintenance was done on the forum database. One thing that comes to mind that can really help issues such as this a lot is a simples reindexing of the forum database. By no means am I criticizing the admin team please don't take it that way. I just wanted to offer some adivce based upon my knowledge of oracle and SQL databases. I run two systems that service 20k plus people running the two aforementioned databases so I just wanted to offer that little piece of advice. If it hasn't been done in a long time or at all it can fix table fragmentation and do wonders on the load times of pages even for something running mysql.

I appreciate this site and all the hard work the admin team puts in this site. I hope I haven't offended anyone as all I want to do is help if I can.

Thank you

hojun

Cavy Slave
Sometimes this happens to me too; it's sporadic.

banklet

Cavy Slave
It's pretty consistent force unfortunately. Out of every 5 or 6 page views I will encounter the issue. The querie time at the bottom of the site reflects this as well. It happens no matter where I access the site from as well. Going on the assumption it's the database and not the forum software itself. This is a pretty common issues for databases that have a lot of changes to them on a regular basis. Reindexing or optimizing the tables as it's called with mysql resorts the tables and makes them as efficient as possible. It's like defregmenting your hard drive.

Supermissdeedee

Cavy Slave
Im not alone with the lag! Yay

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
I thought it was just me!

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It has been happening for some time now. Many members have given up on getting in! It is too bad !

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
This has been happening to me on a regular basis. I thought it might be the computors at work, as they are what I use. Is this something that can be fixed? I have been on this site over 5 years and this hasn't happened before. Or do I just need to be patient? Thank you.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Yep I'm not as active on here as I once was because of the HUGE lag on my comp too. I know its not my comp or connection as it ONLY happens on this site weather its my comp/connection or someone elses. I've also been getting notice 404 site is in lockdown mode everyother time I click a new page. It often takes refreshing 4+ times to get it to work. I'm not at all tech savy so I don't understand half of what anyone is saying other than defrag! Hehe I would LOVE to see this site redone and updated but I know that is a lot of work, time and expense but I definately think it is time!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm really sorry about the problem.

I've submitted a new support ticket to my host for some help.

The underlying problem, for those who get tech stuff, is this.

The version I'm running of this forum software is old. Their NEW version is not good. Very sad and disappointing. I was waiting quite a while for the new version with high hopes.

I've been hoping for a great alternative, but in switching platforms, we are definitely going to take a hit on features and functions.

I've had to focus on my new site for a while, because the benefits to rehoming guinea pigs is huge and needed. That's under control for a bit and now I've been trying to refocus on determining the direction that I need to go with this forum.

I hope to have a solution soon and I'm very sorry for the crappy performance. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Teresa

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
We know you try hard T! This is a great site with tons of great info but it just needs a bit of updating. I for one would give up a few features to have the quality info that people provide. Its not so much about features but about great guinea pig info and guineapig fun! We could have a photo gallery on facebook instead of here? I think maybe people have social groups and blogs else where as well? I know I do. Maybe instead have a forum where people could post links to their blogs and stuff??? I'm just throwing out personal suggestions. I'm not sure what everyone else feels or what Ts ideas for the site would be. Anything you can do would be great T!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, for sure the blogs here are going to go, no matter what. I'll have other solutions for that.

If it were just a decision on the forum, I'm pretty sure I know which way I want to go, but I really think the photo gallery is key. I need to have a good gallery solution available.

I've actually already converted all of the 'SITE' content to Joomla. That's just waiting for some article cleanup and the "move."

The real key for me is the gallery and the forum. I may end up splitting out the integration of them, but I still need both.

I also have some work that I think I'll start looking for volunteers for. Some technical, some writing, some graphics. Getting some more folks involved will help. I'll probably get some new threads going on that later today.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
A slightly related idea... You know how GL allows members to post about their online businesses if they donate X amount of money? You could do something like that to generate more funds. This forum is so great, I've referred so many people here. It's almost unfair it's free, considering what a great source of information it is.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I have been thinking about becoming a paying member here and GL but I don't have a bank account OR a paypal account with funds. I get paid in cash and I pay all my bills except rent in cash so there really is no need for me to get a bank account. Hehe.

I agree this site is great for info and gathering.

Either way T I think it would be a good idea to set up a Facebook page for the site too. GL just got theirs off the ground. Its a good way to spread the word (not like you really need it) and get GOOD guinea pig info out there.

If you need help I'm sure there will be tons of people capable and willing to help. I know I would if I knew anything about internet stuff! Hehe Good luck!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Consider me volunteered for whatever help you need that I can do, Teresa. Just not graphics, please -- I wasn't there when the artistic talent got handed out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.