Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is there a too long?

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
I've had guinea pigs before, but I wanted to see what others think since I don't seem a lot of stuff on how long for laptime other than most piggies need to go to the bathroom after 15 minute stuff.

I've recently gotten two new little boys and I'm working on laptime with them. I haven't had any accidents yet with them (I've got a good 10+ years under my belt of pig handling from my 4 previous sows so I can tell when they need to go to the bathroom), but I'm a little unsure if you'd say there is a limit to how long you should hold your piggies even if they aren't complaining (for their own good).

One of my little guys is quite the lap mop and I have yet to have him ask to go back to the cage (I've gotten up to 45 minutes with him before I put him back so as to not over hold him, they're still new). However, one of my old sows was a major lap suck. She'd pretty much never ask/need to be put back in her youth/middle age (around 7 years she started to loose control of her excretory functions and they were completely uncontrolled around 7.5 until she passed a bit over 8). I'd have her out on my lap or even just cuddled up in a blanket next to me for hours; she slept for most of it (yes, she slept quite a lot, eat hard sleep hard). I think the record was a bit over 3 hours (she did get liquids in the form of veggies or soup... I was young and she liked to drink soup off a spoon so I just went with it, it was pretty cute/amusing), she still wasn't asking to be put back even after that long. But i'm not sure if thats all that healthy for them to hold it that long and I don't want to be hurting their little bladders/kidneys or backing up their systems.

I am glad you brought this up because until recently, I have always done the 20 minute thing with them, put them back, and then take them out again after awhile for another 20 minutes or so, and so on....

I have two girls, Cuddles and Buttercup, and they are about 6 1/2 months old now. Cuddles just tolerates me ( though she enjoys my husbands company more..) and is more than ready to be put back after 20 minutes.

Buttercup is my lovey dovey lap time Queen, and recently she seemed to cry or whine when I was getting ready to put her back...and nearly posted-- to ask anyone else if there piggies ever seemed to "not" want to be put back, or cried or whined when they did so.

For many months I have been trying to figure out her "cues" to be put back...and would still put her back ( to give her the chance to pee if needed) even though she didn't seem to give me any cues to want to go back yet. Until recently, like the other night, she seemed to cry or whine when I was putting her back. I have been so frustrated with this lately, given I have acquired such a close relationship with her, ( compared to my other sweetie Cuddles that is, and with her, I DEFINITELY get cues from) why was I having so much trouble reading her cues to be put back ??

So, I realized something. I think she likes spending more time on my lap with me, and maybe she has NEVER really given me, any such cues ! ( except in the beginning, when she was little)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to this either, that is why I am glad that you brought it up ! I wonder too, now..."How long, is too long, for lap time?"

If they seem content being out, I'd keep them out as long as you both seem to want it that way. Keep a towel on your lap in case of an accident. Mine usually fidget or turn around to nip if they want to go back in their cage. I think if they really have to go to the bathroom, they'll just do it.

Good question. My guinea pigs tend to hold it until they get back into the cage but accidents happen. I have to boys named Astro and Nibbler. They both tend to face me during lap time and when they have to "go" they turn around. I usually tend to 10 minutes lap time 10 mintues cage 10 mintutes lap time 10 minutes cage... I do this because I can't stay still very long and my pigs LOVE being on my lap not besides me, so its better for them so they don't get stirred around often. I also always have a towel under them, just in case. Mine are also VERY grouchy little guys so if you pet them and they just wanna go home then the will nip and give you the death glare (not joking Nibbler is really good at it)

The longest I've been is an hour.

The longest I've kept Tiger out was probably 5 hours. I have had him a year and he has had probably 6 accidents. Tiger loves lap time and watching movies with me. If he starts getting aggravated which is seldom I put him in his home. So no I don't think there is a too long if you have a tolerant piggy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.