Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pair of abbys

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am new around here. I got my first pig (named Yeti) a little over a month ago. I purchased Yeti from Petco somewhat on a whim because she was so goofy and unique from the other pigs they had and I had been interested in finding a good pet for myself for a while. Being new to guinea pigs, I purchased what I thought was the best cage and accessories from the pet store just to find out later that those aren't even close to the best.

After I got Yeti, I quickly came across GPC and am so happy that I did! I read about the importance of having a companion and a larger cage and quickly got to work to make sure Yeti would live a fun and happy life. I built a 4x2 C&C cage for her to give her more room to play, and she has been so much happier than she was in her first few days in the "extra large" pet cage from the pet store. Thank you to everyone here for steering me in the right direction! Yeti was running laps like crazy through her new cage and wheeking with excitement and exploring all of her extra space. She kept running over to the edge of the cage and looking up to me like she was saying "thank you so much for the new home, what an improvement!" Well worth the small amount of effort that went into putting it all together. But, she still needed a friend.

Thanks to GPC, I learned that there are lots of rescues out there with many pets needing homes. I went to Wee Companions and was thrilled with the experience. Fenella was great and let Yeti and I come visit and meet some other pigs. Luckily, Yeti is still young and I have handled her a lot so she is pretty outgoing and gets along well with others. When we put her with two other adoptable pigs, she was immediately wheeking with them and running around exploring. Yeti kept sniffing and following around the abby and they were wheeking together a lot so I chose her as a friend.

After a quarantine period, they are now together and getting along great. I am still considering names for the new pig, but in the meantime she is getting used to her new surroundings and she and Yeti are having a lot of fun together. Yeti is young but the new pig is even younger, born in April. They eat together and follow eachother around and are both much more vocal and happy. I am so happy I got Yeti a friend and that I got her from a rescue. All of my future pigs will come from Wee Companions for sure! Now, for the most important part... pictures!

Here is the cage when I first built it. I couldn't figure out why Yeti wouldn't use her ramp.
Pair of abbys

Then, I put coroplast sides going up the ramp along with a towel over the top of it and towels lining the wood of the ramp, and she immediately started using it and the loft area.

Pair of abbys

Yeti munching on hay:

Pair of abbys

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
More pictures of my pigs!

They get lap time and floor time every day and Yeti is a sucker for napping in her bed while I pet her:

Pair of abbys

New pig:
Pair of abbys

Yeti entering tunnel, new pig leaving:

Pair of abbys

GotPigs?

Cavy Slave
Your piggies look very cute and spoiled :) Welcome!

Nachopig13

Cavy Slave
I was going to say, the bare wood ramp would be slick and Yeti and your new pigger would have slid when trying to climb it.
Anyways, welcome to GPC and I am very happy for your pigs and how they get along! Good luck in the future!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The first ramp is narrow and does not have sides. It also doesn't look very securely held to the top level. It's not a surprise that your pig wouldn't use it at first. It's pretty dangerous as pigs could easily fall off or slide off.

The new ramp is better but my question would be, how is it attached to the top level? I would probably use a smaller towel so you can clip the sides up rather than having them hang down.

Your pigs are adorable! Please adopt next time.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I adopted the second one, once I actually learned about guinea pigs. Unfortunately, I had no information pertaining to guinea pig adoption prior to getting my first one...

The ramp is resting on the second level with two holes drilled through the ramp and two very heavy duty zip ties holding it in place. It is exceedingly stable and with the sides on the ramp (approx. 6" wide) it is perfect for my pigs.

Also, the towel hanging down serves a purpose, so it won't be getting clipped up. The pigs have another little hidey down there which the towel partly covers. They love the privacy down here and it provides another extra area for one pig to get away from another if they need space. Funny how these little ones love their towels so much!

Nachopig13

Cavy Slave
My pigger, Nacho passes out (sleeping fyi) after i hold her ^_^

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
Your pigs are adorable, and your cage is great! It's is so great that you adopted from Wee Companions! I actually volunteer and foster there! Thanks for adopting! I am so thrilled that you are happy with your guinea pigs! :)

Cogni

Cavy Slave
GREAT cage! How do you change all that bedding though!
Your pigs are SO sweet and adorable!! I think you should call the new piggie April, because she was born in April, and is fresh as a spring shower.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Wow! Hey there, I am also a volunteer and foster for Wee Companions! Do you remember the name of the guinea pig when you adopted from us?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! I'm so glad you got the new one from Wee Companions. Great Rescue.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Wow! Hey there, I am also a volunteer and foster for Wee Companions! Do you remember the name of the guinea pig when you adopted from us?

Her name at the rescue was Serafina. Her new name is Grizzly, because she just looks like a cute little bear.

Her and Yeti are getting along great still. Last night, after they got lots of floor time and a couple rounds of lap time each, they went back in their cage and both started doing zoomies all over the place. It was the first time that Grizzly ever really did a lot of zoomies for an extended period of time. They would run independently, then every once in a while they would take turns following eachother around the cage... absolutely adorable :cheerful:

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Haha you are right!! A little brown baby grizzly bear!!

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
That's a great name for her! I am glad that they are getting along :)

Caviekisses

Cavy Slave
I love Abby pigs, they are so cute. Don't you just want to squish their little adorable cheeks?... Oops, it looks like someone already did! lol

Supposedly, they're a piggy with an abbytude... But, all the ones I've ever been around were sweet and loved being held and caressed.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I love Abby pigs, they are so cute. Don't you just want to squish their little adorable cheeks?... Oops, it looks like someone already did! lol

Supposedly, they're a piggy with an abbytude... But, all the ones I've ever been around were sweet and loved being held and caressed.

Its funny... Yeti seems to like when I rub her chin and cheeks. The way their faces look kills me... too funny. Last night during lap time she kept looking up at me and touching my hand with her nose. If I didn't start scratching, she would force her head between my hands with her chin up, just staring and then would be so happy when I would pet her.

I think I got particularly lucky with these pigs... they both have great temperments and get along really well. In fact, they were both doing zoomies and popcorning together last night after veggie time. Grizzly is still getting used to everything (she is still young and pretty new), but she is getting braver by the day. I'm sure once she gets a little bigger she'll be out begging for food just like Yeti.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.