Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece?

sebedale04

Cavy Slave
Is cloth in the bottom of a cage better than shavings? What are some advatages and disadvatages. HELP ME ha ha ha.

I use fleece and I love it. It is more expensive initially but You don't have to buy new fleece every other week or so. You do have to wash it every 4-5 days and vaccum the poop once or twice a day. If you use fleece you will need something absorbant underneath like a few layers of newspaper or towels.

Try doing a forum search on fleece, there is alot of information that has already been posted.

I used fleece and hated it. To me, it smelled, stained, came out of place, and it was a constant hassle to clean out the poops 2-3 times a day. You can't go a day without cleaning out the poops because they load up.

But if you can pull it off, great. I have no problem with it, it is a economical, great alternitive to regular bedding. But personally, I like my shredded aspen.

well i use carefresh right now but i have a friend who is bout to get a pig. He wanted to go cheaper, but i did not know how it would work

I love fleece and so does my pig. I clean it out about every 3-4 days and poop scoop with a plastic spoon every other day. I dont think there is anything bad about fleece and I suggest using it. lol

I use aspen on the bottom level. I had the coroplast specifically designed to be an extra 2 inches higher so the shavings wouldnt come out of the cage and it doesnt. I love it. I have a 2x4 with 2 upper levels. I dont have to clean out the shavings for 2 weeks. What could be better than that. I am now using vetbed (similiar to carpeting) on the upper levels.

I use fleece too and love it. I wash it every 4 days, and sweep up the poop a few times in between each washing. I include vinegar when I wash the fleece, which always gets the smell out. I have an extra fleece bottom, as well as any extra fleece pieces that I use in their hidey-holes. This way I can replace the fleece right away when I clean it. Underneath the fleece I use several layers of newspaper. Free and easy.

I love fleece because not only is it cheaper overall, but I also don't use up valuable garbage can space. It seems like we are always just barely fitting in that last bag on garbage day.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I sew my cage liners, one layer of fleece, then two layers of towel, and then one last layer of fleece. They work wonders, so easy to do. I used to use aspen shavings but they got sooo messy. I can easily make some cage liners, they aren't that expensive I don't think.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.