Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Swollen foot!!! :'(

san_sam

Cavy Slave
Hey guys my baby boy Sheldon has a swollen hind left leg. It's a little red.. I am very worried.. Last night few friends of mine came over and I think they mishandled my boy.. I don't know what they did.. He is limping a little.. I will not be able to take him to the vet until Saturday.. Can keep ice on his leg? would it help? I feel so bad.. :'( pls help guys..

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
There will be far more knowledgeable people to respond to your question. But you may want to take him to the vet earlier. Maybe have a friend you trust take him if you are not able to due to work or school.
I would be very worried if there was an obvious lack of flexibility at a joint area (not able to extend leg). And it if it is broken, I don't think you would want to wait 4 days for a vet to look at it.
I hope he is ok. Sounds like some of your friends need a "pig handling 101" class.

san_sam

Cavy Slave
There will be far more knowledgeable people to respond to your question. But you may want to take him to the vet earlier. Maybe have a friend you trust take him if you are not able to due to work or school.
I would be very worried if there was an obvious lack of flexibility at a joint area (not able to extend leg). And it if it is broken, I don't think you would want to wait 4 days for a vet to look at it.
I hope he is ok. Sounds like some of your friends need a "pig handling 101" class.

Thank you Kim.. I feel a little better now.. I have to tell those guys off.. I am talking him to the vet tomorrow..

san_sam

Cavy Slave
I would really like some pro adivce guys.. please reply..

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Is your piggy on a solid bottom cage or wire floor?

If its an injury there is nothing we can do a vet visit is a MUST and all you can do until then is to ice it if its swollen and try to keep her still and keep her food close to where she likes to lay.

Is she getting enough vit C? If she is not that could be a reason why she is limping. Severe Scruvy makes limbs not function just before they are going to die! They need to be getting proper pellets (oxbow, kleenmamas or sweetmeadow), unlimited grass hay(timothy), and 1-2 cups of fresh veggies which of Lettuce (not iceberg) and green bell peppers are a MUST!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't think it's a good idea to apply ice to it. You have no way of knowing if it's getting too cold.

There's really nothing any one can tell you except to get to a vet. If nothing else the vet will prescribe appropriate pain meds.

KateandOscar

Cavy Slave
This sounds like a similar situation to mine, though my piggie hasnt been hurt...yet. My friends come over, they call it a rodent or rat, and when I leave the room I come in and something is always happening to them! They will pick up my hamster and dangle him, one of my friends even stuck a pair of scissors in my piggies cage near his face! I then got really mad at her and now she knows not to touch him when im not with her and I know she wont do it again, but i used to have a friend who would talk about hurting my hamster and killing it, but im not friends with her anymore, so its all good, and my friends I have now know not to touch them or I get mad, and I trust them, but that other girl...I didnt ever leave them alone. It really could have been them, because if that happened after my friends came over then I would think that too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.