Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Swollen genitals on female guinea

Meg Casey

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted a new piggy to keep my other guinea pig, Lola, some company. I've noticed that the new (female) guinea pig's genitals are a lot larger and more pronounced than Lola's, and I was wondering if this is a normal thing that happens when one pig is trying to display dominance over the other.I know a female's genitals swell when they are in heat, but the new pig has had swelling for about a week so I'm not sure if it's that.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm a new cavy owner so every little thing worries me, so I would just like to know whether a vet trip would be a good idea right now or sot.

Are you positive it isnt a male pig? Because that could be the problem, in which case you would need to seperate them as soon as possible. If you are sure its a female, then it *might* just be in heat, though I have a male pig, but from what I have learned thats what happens. Im not sure the time frame, or how long they are usually in heat though.

Yep, definitely a female. I figure it's either a dominance thing, or she's in heat (or both), but I'll keep and eye on her and make sure it doesn't persist too long.

Guinea pig genitals are VERY hard to figure out. There have been many times where pet stores, rescues and EVEN vets have not been able to sex a guinea pig. Could you post a pic here of the piggies genitals? Have you tried the "push test" to look for a penis. Here are some resources for sexing a GP...

https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html

Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

It is possible that the swollen "vulva" is actually testicles as GPs testicles don't always hang down like other species...

I have never noticed any type of swollen genitals on my females even when in heat. If it's that noticable I would think that you may have a missexed piggie. Sounds like the odds of it being a male are pretty high.

Is your new pig bigger and older than your original one?

Is your new pig eating and drinking normally? Has she lost any weight? Any squeaking or pain upon pooping or peeing? Sometimes a female guinea pig with a bladder stone at the opening will have swollen genitals.

I have a pig with what I would call swollen gentials.

She is 2-3, spayed and currently being treated for a UTI. It is kind of puffed out and I might say slightly protruding.

It has been like this for a while and has been bothering me, I mean the difference between the two same aged/conditioned females. Now that you have brought up this thread it has made me want to discuss this with my vet.

I realize this does not help any but just to let you know you may not be just seeing things.

I took my guinea pig to the vet, she flushed the area in case she had a crystal sitting just inside in that area. The vet thought that this protrusion was normal and possibly just an anatomical difference between different guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.