Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Here's my "cavy camper" (aka, sleeping bag)

LillySadie

Cavy Slave
I made this so that my piggies would have another place to hide out, and also stay warm when the temp drops in my house. They have essentially flattened it by running on it, and have now poofed up a bit of it on their own, to crawl in and out.

The interior is flannel-lined, the exterior is cotton, and the middle layer (that you can't see, of course, but keeps it warm, and able to poof open on its own) is old mattress pad that I had left over from making the pad for their C&C.

It took them a few days to warm up to it, but last night, I saw Lilly get in it, and this morning, Sadie was curled up in it, nice and cozy. :D

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
Very, very nice. I like the pattern.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Love it! Can you post instructions for how to make it?

LillySadie

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'll take pictures and write it out when I make the 2nd one...this one, I totally winged it. :shhh:

cuponoodels

Cavy Slave
Wow you did a really good job! Do you take orders? :D

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Cute fabric! I have tons of fabric, I need to sit down and make some one of these weekends.
Did you put anything around the opening to hold it open?

LillySadie

Cavy Slave
Cute fabric! I have tons of fabric, I need to sit down and make some one of these weekends.
Did you put anything around the opening to hold it open?

Nope. But with the 2 fabrics and the mattress pad in between, it kinda stays open on its own. Of course, the cavies can run on it and flatten it, but they can also easily open it back up with their noses and crawl right in. My girls like to hide out in there sometimes...and it is also a nice easy way to 'catch' them to bring them out for laptime. :)

I'm going to try to make another one today when I get home (I get to leave early today from work!), and I will take pictures and write out instructions as I go...I'll try to get them posted later on tonight.

Thor-Loki's mom

Cavy Slave
Love it !! I cant wait to see the instructions on how to make it. I have just started sewing this year so I am still learning. I know my Loki would love one of those !!

cuponoodels

Cavy Slave
I sent you a message Lilly, but it didn't show up in my sent folder so I'm not sure if you got it or not.

Please let me know. :)

Cocoacavy

Cavy Slave
Aww.. that is so cute. I'm planning to make at least something for Cocoa :)

Megeroonie

Cavy Slave
That is super cute & your piggie is so small looking & adorable:)

LillySadie

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I am still working on a pattern for it, and need to figure out what I can use in the middle for the absorbent layer, because mattress pads are not too fun to work with, and they're expensive. :)

My girls are still little...only about 11 weeks old now, I believe...

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello LillySadie !

Just a thought...I wonder...for absorbency's sake, would cutting out a u-haul pad piece for whatever dimensions one would need, work better ? For a really big u-haul blanket, (68" x 85") it costs $7.95, or would it be too heavy therefore too flappy ?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
What a great little tent! It looks like a 'sorting hat' (from Harry Potter) lying on its side. (Hm, lift a piggie out of a sorting hat--new magic trick!)

I got an all-cotton twin mattress pad from a thrift store. It was not the fitted kind, but had elastic straps to hold it on to the mattress. I cut the straps off and have a perfect sized piece to go under their fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.