Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie from Iowa

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I'm so glad to have found an active forum for guinea pigs! I've had 2 house rabbits in the past (before kids) but guinea pigs are new to me. My 9 yr old DD wants to raise a guinea pig as a pet and 4H project.

I've been doing research over the last week and so glad I did! I had no idea the little critters needed more room than the "standard small animal cage."
So that has saved us money and will lead to a happy piggy when we get one. I think I'm going with the modular cube plan but still researching.
We have one we are thinking of adopting-a 6 mos old female that has not been handled. I'm wondering how fast she will "warm up" to us so she can be handled and kid friendly.

I'm sure I'll be back with questions! :eek:ptimist:

Welcome! Lots of helpful people and information here. Be sure to read through the posts you will learn A LOT!

I had rabbits for nine years. I just recently lost my oldest rabbit a few weeks ago. Her name was Toby and she was the best rabbit ever more like a dog.

As far as the "warming up" part it varies from piggie to piggie. They all have different personalities. Although guinea pigs are herd animals so you should have at least two. It will probably make the adjusting period a lot easier on the pig if it has a buddy.

Last edited:
Welcome, I'm glad you found us! Glad you're looking at adoption - please keep in mind they are very social little creatures and any one you adopt will be happiest with a same sex buddy. Also, don't miss the great info in the diet and nutrition section.

Just a word to the wise, though - 4-H is not generally highly regarded around these parts because of the heavy emphasis on breeding and showing.

As far as the 4H, it's her project but she won't be showing it/breeding. She'll just document her work, expenses, take pics, etc and share her "portfolio" with her group. She really wants it as a pet (so do I-the little critters are fascinating to me) and knew if she said it was her "project" her dad would agree to it :p

Meep, so sorry about your rabbit. :sorry:
We had our first rabbit pass in our arms and it was heartbreaking :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.