Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Stand design

S0rceress0

Cavy Slave
Whew, I noticed that the fans next to me didn't start until 7:45 tonight. I am counting on the fact that the project may be winding down and I won't have to keep Hershey in the glass tank at night anymore. I've been considering a stand design for about an hour. Has anyone ever built a stand? I was thinking a top made of a sheet of plywood with 4-2x4 support struts screwed down onto 4-4x4's. Does anyone think this would be too wobbly?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Glass tank? How big is your cage? Are you building a stand for the glass tank or a C&C cage? Your stand should not be wobbly. I think the 4x4 is overkill. I made my cage from 2x2 beams and 2x4 posts. The cage can support my weight.

Stand design

lissie

Cavy Slave
Here's a picture of the frame before I put down the floors.
(broken link removed)

S0rceress0

Cavy Slave
No no, I will be relieved I won't have to keep him in the tank at night anymore. I will probably be using wire shelving to produce the cage itself unless I can get the cubes/panels for less than the wire shelving. The coroplast I can retrieve from the sign shop down the road. I will be making it big enough for two piggies as my fiancee has been pegging me to get another.
The 4x4's will be cheap for me as I already have them. The 2x4's I can get for about .20c a 6' board. I want Hershey to have all the light possible in the room with only one window. I see you used a clear plastic front for yours, can you tell me what that is?

lissie

Cavy Slave
The plastic front is plexiglas. The one I have is 1/4" thick.

Edit to add:
I used to have a C&C cage but I wanted something that looks more like furnitre.

Last edited:

S0rceress0

Cavy Slave
The plastic front is plexiglas. The one I have is 1/4" thick.

Edit to add:
I used to have a C&C cage but I wanted something that looks more like furnitre.

Hey thanks! I like the thought that Hershey would be able to look out the front and see what's going on. I'll think on it.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
OMG lissie!!! That cage is mega awesome! I would like to order 2 please!!! lol

lissie

Cavy Slave
Thanks Onetwo! Two orders coming right up!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
S0rcerss0- There are MANY great pictures of wood and alternative cages in the alternitive cages thread in the pictures. I Personally LOVE the alternitive cages because they look like furniture and are so clean and sturdy looking. If I had the extra money, skills and the gargae space with tools I would have made one years ago... If you have the ability to make one you should go for it! Don't rush it either because if you do and waste the materials that would be tragic. Plus if it isnt visually appealing it might upset you. Many people have had to live in tiny crampped conditions for small periods of time to accomidate the building of their new houses. I'm sure your guinea pig wont mind and be so thankful that you took the time to make sure it was safe in everyway for him. Please be sure to make 8-10 inch walls all the way around so they dont get tempted to jump down. You also might want to include storage space underneath so it doesnt feel like a bad use of space as well as bring it up off the floor away from cold drafts and easier to clean... Good luck with your project and we would love to know how its going and feel free to post progress pictures here!

lissie

Cavy Slave

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Thanks Lissie. I too live in a small space. Its a 700 square foot 2 bedroom. I live in it with my 2 young boys and our pets... Unfortionately I cannot see anyones photos that are attactments so I could not see your layout. I have 27 4 foot shelves put up everywhere throughout the apt near the ceilings. It doesnt look too apprealing but it keep the boys who are 5 and 2.5 out of things and making a mess or losing things. Unfortionately most of those shelves are dedicated to the 40+boxes of toys they have. People here are very sparadic in what they throw and sell here. Sometimes there is nothing but junk and they want a rediculas amount. Other times I cannot believe the stuff people give away on freecycle.org (great great site) also yahoo groups (if you have a yahoo/ ymail account) has a freecycle section as well. People post and you can get instant emails of what is available. I wish I could have a bigger cage for the piggies but I'm not sure how to rearrange for it functions with everyone...

S0rcerss0-
Those two sites would be great (as well as craigslist) to look for supplies and construction materials. As well as adopting another buddy. You cannot believe how many pets I see on freecycle in my area. Its so sad...

Shahbazin

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? How tall do you want the stand to be? If wood, will you be staining & sealing it? Or painting? There's some no or low VOC stains, paints, & finishes out there. When building smaller wooden structures, 2x2s are usually quite fine for framing. I have my 2x4 C&C up on a stand made of more of the grids, & it looks quite tidy & is very stable (grid floor under the coroplast tray, also).

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Not sure if you have a C&C cage, SOrceress, but I raised my C&C on grids to make a stand and to give me some storage space underneath. It's not hard to do at all, and extremely sturdy. It can certainly support a teenager who decided to test it last time she visited ...

Cage remodel - L-shaped 2x6 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.