Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Are more levels better?

guinea4

Cavy Slave
My husband and I are building a new cage and we are not in agreement over the total number of levels. I want a 3 level cage (originally 4 but it would be too high so I had to go down to 3) but my husband said that he thinks 2 levels are enough and that if you build higher the pigs will not use the uppermost level. The cage is going to be 7ft x 2.5ft on the base and each level would be the same size.

Sorry, question is would 3 levels be ok or are 2 enough? My opinion, the bigger the better!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs ground dwellers, so a big one lever cage would be most benificial to them.

2 levels would be fine.

Ash-Ro060708

Cavy Slave
I hated my 2 level cages... too hard to clean... too dark.... and too hard to interact with the piggies.

guinea4

Cavy Slave
We already have a 2 level cage and the pigs spend most of their time on the top floor and when they need to run off energy they run aound the bottom up the ramp and then around the top ramp until they run out of energy, however it is only 6ftx2ft so I we are making a new one that is 7ftx2.5ft so that they have a little extra room.

I would give them an entire room if my husband would let me, but this is as big as he will allow me for the time being. Any bigger and he said we will have to build a second story on our house so I can build a 2 story or 3 story, but the base is as big as I can get.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I have a two-story cage. The girls use it just fine although being as short as I am I have a hard time cleaning the top level (it's very awkwardly positioned). I would be afraid move levels would not get used or would make it more difficult to clean especially if every level is the same size stacked, it would get very dark on the botom levels.

guinea4

Cavy Slave
We were thinking something like this: piggy cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos but with grids on all sides except the back so that they would have enough light.

I'm not worried about the cleaning, I just want my little guineas to have as much room as they can, if it's ok and safe but if a 3rd story isn't needed or if all of you experts (that's what I tell my husband is that I come here for the expert advice to make sure we're doing things right) think that it's too much or that it would be pointless then we will just go with two stories. I just thought more was better.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I would just stick with two levels, if I were you. I have not heard of many pigs using a third layer, so to me it would be pointless. Also, like someone previously stated, they prefer to have ground space and the bigger that is, the better. The ramps used for the second layer actually take away space, so generally second stories do not count as overall square footage.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
After 12-14 different piggy cages in the last several years I would completely agree that one levels are WAY better. Everyones piggyies are different. But my piggies pooped like crazy in the dark bottom level and never used the top. Plus cleaning the bottom SUCKED!!! I love my one level....

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Mine went from a one level, to a two level, to a one level again. They didn't seem as happy. I put the second level back and they love it. They practically live upstairs but they run laps in the bottom.

I do, however, have two in a 3x4 with a 1x4 upstairs so they have lots of extra space.

I don't know about a 3rd level. I would assume they would use it but your bigger concern would have to be stability is all... In my opinion.

I do agree though that if the space is limited, it is better to have one level than take away space with a ramp to make a second. Mine wouldn't run laps when I had a ramp in a smaller set up.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's better to have a 1 or 2 story cage than a cage with several levels.

Here are some reasons:

• Cavies are not climbers by nature.
  • Multistory cages do not allow a lot of light on lower levels if each level is the same in space. ie: A 3 story 2x4 cage.
  • Upper levels do not count toward overall square footage.
  • Multistory cages are harder to clean and maintain.

guinea4

Cavy Slave
2 levels it is. I guess I will have to give this one to my husband! Thanks for the advice. I figured the lower level will be 7x2.5 which equals 17.5 sq ft for four pigs. I didn't add anything in for the second level because I read that it didn't count and I also read that the minimum for four is 13sq ft but that more is better and so we are making it as big as the hubby will allow!

Thanks again for all the GREAT advice. This website has been so helpful and I have learned a LOT!

lissie

Cavy Slave
My cage is about the same size as the one you're planning to build. Mine is 28" x 8' (inside measurements). Mine doesn't have ramps in between the level. It is hard to clean the lower level. I left a big gap in between the levels and it's still quite hard to clean. You'd be better off with a big lower level and a smaller feeding loft.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
My two have a two level cage that is opened at the top and very easy to clean and they run up and down their ramps all the time. Sometimes they sleep upstairs and sometimes downstairs. I have a cozy on each level and whatever suits their fancy is what they do. They are quick and the ramps have sides and not steep so it is easy for them. They also sleep on the landing between the two levels....:)

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
They will generally use whatever you give them, BUT, multilevel cages, especially stacked on top of each other are a pain. I have a stacked 2 level and I will be switching to a larger open 1 level soon as I can't stand it. So much harder to catch the pigs, its too dark, it always looks cluttered to me, and its more difficult to clean out.
Maybe have 2 and your 3rd level will be smaller for a hay loft? They love those :)

guinea4

Cavy Slave
Oh I like the hay loft idea as a third level! Thank you for that idea!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.