Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Length or width ...which one?

amani

Cavy Slave
I have 2 girls and they dont get along so I have split their cage. The size of the entire cage is 3x4. I split it down the middle length wise as 1 1/2 x4 but its so skinny, but long. What is a good size? 2x3 or 1 1/2 x4?:?:Thanks!

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
2x3 sounds a lot better than 1 1/2 x 4 to me. With less than two grids of width, the pigs can have a hard time turning around when they're running laps really quickly. Being able to run full tilt laps might make up for the cage not being so long.

cam767

Cavy Slave
2x3 would be best. Is it possible to build a second cage? Maybe a stacked cage of 2x4's?

Are they drawing blood on one another? Do they have enough hidey's? Unless I've missed a post (which is very possible so sorry if I'm repeating) can you give us more info? Maybe someone could give you suggestions on how to keep them together. Unless there is blood drawn you really shouldn't separate because re-introducing them could cause more problems later.

amani

Cavy Slave
They actually were in a rumble (rolling around in a ball fighting) so I decided to separate them. This was after introducing them in a neutral setting. As far as another cage, I live in a very small apartment with my husband and 2 children and, have already gotten rid of a lazy boy type chair to build our cage, so there's no room for another cage. I think it would probably be best to go with the 2x3. The problem is actually not both of them, its my older girl who attacks my younger one. Its a shame but these things happen. Unfortunately , we don't know until after adopting if things will work out. I drove 4 hours to adopt her at an ASPCA so shes very special:love:

Novalee

Cavy Slave
well you should go with a multi level cage, with a separeted area just for your older girl. actually its never good to put a pig all by itself but in this case it would be better. you still could let them stay under supervision together for a couple hours a day, but when you are not around they have to be seperated.

multilevel cages ar easy to build out of shelfs ect., lined with pond foil or wax tablecloth. So you got more room and the pigs got still their space. My 2 pigs are living in an wooden outdoor cage with some fenced outside playground in the house.

cam767

Cavy Slave
you still could let them stay under supervision together for a couple hours a day, but when you are not around they have to be seperated

Pigs should not be introduced and then separated and then introduced again as you are suggesting. This causes too much stress and more fighting problems. Unless there is blood drawn you should not separate pigs. They need to work out the "pecking" order to see who is the dominant one. Sometimes this can take weeks or months.

How long have you had these 2 and how long were they caged together? How old are they?

Larger cages and more hideys usually help with this. Since you already have a 3x4 for 2 girls space shouldn't be the problem. How many hides do you have for them? You should have at least 3. If they are fighting at the hay box then make 2 hay boxes at separate ends. Try feeding off of 2 dishes. Have 2 water bottles. Try all these things first since your cage size will allow.

Hopefully some of this helps. I know it's always scary when they start fighting. Chin up. Hopefully someone here can give you the right info to help you out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.