Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How much coroplast?

kaite13

Cavy Slave
I am thinking about changing my old cage to a c&c cage since my old cage is made of wood and lino, but the urine is soaking through to the wood:eek:.How much coroplast is needed for a 2 by 4 cage?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
All the measurements are here:
How to Make a C&C Cage

You'll need a piece of coroplast 68" x 39" for a 2 x 4 grid cage.

What kind of bedding are you using? I use fleece pads I made myself and my coroplast doesn't even get damp.

kaite13

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I use fleece and towels, a cotton shower curtain and newspaper underneath.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you should have enough bedding there to stop leaks, but obviously that isn't working.
How many pigs do you have, and how big is your current cage? Also, how many layers of towels are you using? When I used to use towels (before I had cage liners), I needed about 6 layers of towels for 2 boars in a 2x4. Now I just need one cage liner, which is made of about 4 different layers.

kaite13

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link! I use 1 layer of towels atop 1 shower curtain and under that plenty of newspaper. But there is also urine stains on the bottom of the walls from the wet shavings piled agaist it (just recently I changed to fleece) , and now in the corners the wood is alway slightly damp. I just made this cage last march 2010 and I am frusterated that this is happening already since I got this idea from another site and it seemed to work very well for her. I think I (and the pigs) would perfer the flexibility and openess of the c&c cage. Can anyone tell me where they got their coroplast?

kaite13

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link! I have 2 females and I use 1 layer of towels atop 1 shower curtain and under that plenty of newspaper. But there is also urine stains on the bottom of the walls from the wet shavings piled agaist it (just recently I changed to fleece) , and now in the corners the wood is alway slightly damp. I just made this cage last march 2010 and I am frusterated that this is happening already since I got this idea from another site and it seemed to work very well for her. I think I (and the pigs) would perfer the flexibility and openess of the c&c cage. Can anyone tell me where they got their coroplast?

kaite13

Cavy Slave
All the measurements are here:
How to Make a C&C Cage

You'll need a piece of coroplast 68" x 39" for a 2 x 4 grid cage.

What kind of bedding are you using? I use fleece pads I made myself and my coroplast doesn't even get damp.
How did you make your fleece pads? Sorry, double post.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
How did you make your fleece pads?

I used one layer of fleece (top layer), then 2 layers of Zorb (absorbent diaper fabric purchased from Wazoodle.com), then 1 layer of cotton fabric. I cut everything to the size of the cage and sewed it all together into one giant "quilt" that sits in the bottom of the cage and absorbs everything.

Other people have had great results using U-Haul blankets (movers' blankets). They absorb a lot of pee and are super thick. They also don't fall apart in the wash, which some fabrics (like Zorb) will do if you don't sandwich them between other fabrics. There are some threads on using them on this site - try searching for Uhaul. Here's one: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/59177-uhaul-blankets.html

I'm not surprised that one layer of towels isn't working for you, to be honest - I used to use 6 layers to keep my pigs' pee under control! :) I'd try using more towels and ditching the newspaper as it just gets stinky really quick and doesn't absorb well. What do you use the cotton shower curtain for? An absorbent layer?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I also wanted to add that using Uhaul blankets should work out cheaper than using Zorb. I'd already bought my Zorb before the wonders of Uhaul blankets were discovered! :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can anyone tell me where they got their coroplast?

I got mine from this company. They have locations in Canada too.
(broken link removed)

elliriyanna

Cavy Slave
I just googled my address then searched nearby for sign shops.

kaite13

Cavy Slave
I use the curtain for an absorbant layer but it is huge so it folds over twice, where do you get the U-Haul blankets?How much are they?

kaite13

Cavy Slave
I am planning to do my c&c cage in march because we are getting our basement re-done and the cage doesnt fit anywhere else, thanks everyone for the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.