Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Can a guinea pig catch a human's cold?

• Thread starter One Spoiled Pig
  • Start date

One Spoiled Pig

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I have a new guinea pig that my kids love dearly. But because of the bad weather both of my kids have colds. Should I stop my kids from holding our pig because of their colds?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Bacterial inflections can be spread. Viruses rarely transfer unless they jump species like you see with the flu sometimes. I'd play it safe and not have them handle them.

One Spoiled Pig

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Do I need to worry about our pig, the kids were playing with her this morning until I made them put her up because they were coughing so bad?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
It might be better to wait until they're over the cold to be on the safe side.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Do I need to worry about our pig, the kids were playing with her this morning until I made them put her up because they were coughing so bad?

Just watch her. If you hear her sneezing or see any nasal discharge, make a vet appointment. Just because they handled her, doesn't mean she will get sick.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Just watch her. If you hear her sneezing or see any nasal discharge, make a vet appointment. Just because they handled her, doesn't mean she will get sick.

Symptoms are great to look for but are usually a late sign. It's best to weigh weekly as weight loss will most likely be the first sign of illness.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.