Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

petco and peta, now working together

optimusprime

Cavy Slave
so, petco and peta have reached an agreement, petco no longer sells large birds, and peta drops ALL campaigns against petco (including PETNO, PETCO Cruelty.com and all other campaigns and stickes and packets and literature and rallys and boycotts and petitions and everything) . nevermind the fact that they still dont treat their other animals (especially small animals and reptiles) with the kind of care that they need, never mind that they still will sell other birds (just not those classified as parrots and other large birds)

i think that this highlights why peta is a hypocritical and useless organization. i never have and never will support them in anyway because they arnt looking out for animals intrests, i belive they are looking out for money.
what are your thoughts on this

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
I agree with most of what you are saying, but why do you think makes them want money? I am just trying to learn more about peta. but, from what i do know, going on their site and all, alot of their tactics to make people listen to them, are completely useless!

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Peta situated themselves outside my kids' school last year for a day. With some of their members dressed like cows, were walking right up to the children (JK - grade 5) and insisting they take their info cards as to why they shouldn't drink milk. I'm not even going to get into the whole milk debate on here, but I sure as hell had issues with these people on the school grounds approaching children who, for the most part, have been warned of the dangers of strangers. Personally I have no use for peta and I also see them as a bunch of hypocrits.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Unfortunetilly, they DO get a bit out of hand. I am a vegitarian, but I do wear leather, have a down comforter, and have a down jacket. I do not see eye to eye with all their tactics, but some of the stuff they do really makes a difference. They ARE NOT doing it for money. Show me how this makes them in it for money?

It may not have been the smartest thing to say in a pro-animal welfare forum.

Personally I believe they should have asked for the ending of sales of all live animals except feeders.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I do have to admit as wacky as they are, thier site did help me with lots of veg*n info. I didn't like how they used the terms vegan and vegitarian as if they ment the same thing. They don't and it's very confusing to new veg*ns.

Access

Cavy Slave
That's too bad. That Petco would have proposed a truce in the first place means that PETA's campaign against it was having an effect. I think it's too bad that PETA backed down or agreed to a truce without getting Petco to stop all animal sales. Selling animals is wrong, period -- a hamster, bunny, or guinea pig or bird is no less important than a 'large bird', cat, or dog. Size should not be equated with value, I mean most people don't consider the life of an elephant or a whale more important than the life of a person "because the elephant or whale is bigger."

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
slap_maxwell said:
Unfortunetilly, they DO get a bit out of hand. I am a vegitarian, but I do wear leather, have a down comforter, and have a down jacket. I do not see eye to eye with all their tactics, but some of the stuff they do really makes a difference. They ARE NOT doing it for money. Show me how this makes them in it for money?

It may not have been the smartest thing to say in a pro-animal welfare forum.

Personally I believe they should have asked for the ending of sales of all live animals except feeders.

I agree. While some of there campaigns are ok, most are totally out of hand. It's hard noadays to find shoes that are none leather. SOme peta websites don't even have there facts straight...

synesthesia

Cavy Slave
How weird. So it wasn't just South Park making fun of them. They really do dress up like cows.
How strange.
But, why are they against the selling of large birds?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
synesthesia said:
But, why are they against the selling of large birds?

Who besides anybody in it for the money WOULD be for selling large birds? Only inexperienced, first time bird owners buy big birds at pet stores. This is a huge mistake. Big birds need special care, and a inexperienced owner dosn't know how to give that.

"We welcome the opportunity to work with PETA as we announce ending the sale of large birds as one of several progressive steps we are taking in our industry-leading efforts," said Bruce C. Hall, PETCO President and Chief Operating Officer and President of the non-profit PETCO Foundation. "We recognize that most of our bird customers are what we would call 'beginning hobbyists'. Large birds are not necessarily appropriate for these individuals due to their long lifespan, size and care requirements."

(broken link removed)

Access

Cavy Slave
But you could say the same for any animal, big or small. Petco is just trying to push a PR campaign for doing things 'better' when they should have been doing those things all along (seperating animals by gender is common sense), much less selling the 'small animals' at all. Petco can't even correctly sex the animals, so how can they be expected to keep them apart -- it's all just PR talk and propaganda.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Access said:
But you could say the same for any animal, big or small. Petco is just trying to push a PR campaign for doing things 'better' when they should have been doing those things all along (seperating animals by gender is common sense), much less selling the 'small animals' at all. Petco can't even correctly sex the animals, so how can they be expected to keep them apart -- it's all just PR talk and propaganda.

Yes, but it's an improvement. First we knocked out cats and dogs, and now large birds. Maybe guinea pigs will be next?

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
slap_maxwell said:
Yes, but it's an improvement. First we knocked out cats and dogs, and now large birds. Maybe guinea pigs will be next?

Everyone open your e-mail browser! Say some words of encouragement to petco at their improvment and ask about guinea pigs and Wala! *Opens up e-mail browser*

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
https://www.petco.com/corpinfo_adoptions.asp?cmLink_ID=hpos0005033005THis

is on a page on their site.... I hope more people see this. Im going to e-mail them asking for a bigger button that says 'Adoption FIrst'

PETCO, the PETCO Foundation and Petfinder.com have teamed up with adoption agencies, rescue groups and humane societies across the country to create thousands of adoption opportunities. We encourage the purchase of animals only when all adoption options have failed.

And now, our new in-store Adoption Center makes adopting a homeless pet easier than ever! Just visit a store near you and be automatically connected to shelters and shelter partners in your area who can help match your pet needs with all types of homeless animals.

In addition to these new in-store Adoption Centers, PETCO and the PETCO Foundation sponsor adoption events in each of our stores and communities nationwide and hold fundraisers which raise millions of dollars each year to help homeless animals find permanent pet parents of their own.

laura220

Cavy Slave
Are you sure PETA made that agreement? Where did you get your info from?!

Last edited:

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
laura220 said:
Are you sure PETA made that agrrement? Where did you get your info from?!

Yup, it's absolutely true. Go to Peta.org

laura220

Cavy Slave
I read it! That's totally dumb. Now they're leaving behind all those poor little furries. And I used to think PETA actually helped! It only uses your donation money.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You know how hard they fought to get just that? Geez.

Access

Cavy Slave
All I can say is, I hope PETA will continue to work with Petco and get them to stop more of their bad practices, one of which includes selling animals of any size.

In my city, the local small animal rescue is at 'crisis' capacity, pigs included, yet most of the local Petco's are still selling pigs... Petco may encourage adoption with dogs + cats, but definately not with pigs.

Peaches

Cavy Slave
Our local petco does help the local shelter by showing adoption piggies and bunnies. I had already made arangements to adopt when I saw them so i didnt get one. But they had a preggie. I told my rescue about it and they are going to try and get her at least so whe'll be cared for properly.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
I was on Peta's website yesterday and saw that announcement. It is another step in the right direction. Understand that change can only happen a little at a time. You can't expect a perfect world at PETCO overnight. Be glad that the large birds have been saved. It takes alot of manpower, time and money for PETA to run their campaigns against people like PETCO. They didn't "back down." They compromised. They have opened a positive line of communication with PETCO - this is a GOOD THING! Now, instead of animousity between the two, they are working together. Now PETA will be able to more easily approach PETCO about other animals - one at a time - until they are all out of there. It will take time. And money. Of course PETA is looking for money, they can't get it anywhere else. They can be a bit aggressive and radical, however. Like Greenpeace, they need to think before they act sometimes. About the cow milk thing - why is milkin cows bad? It is actually bad for them NOT to be milked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.