Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Best rat foods?

MaryGoodnight

Cavy Slave
I'm picking up a trio of rats next Saturday. I wanted to stock up on food now, I usually make a suebee's mix...but I'm really concerned about the number of animal food recalls we've had in the past few years so I was thinking of Oxbow rat diet but does anyone know how it stacks up compared to lab blocks? I don't like lab blocks because I can't get them locally (which is ironic as Phizer is right here butchering animals in the name of science, but then even if they were available locally I don't want to buy from anywhere that helps supply vivisectionists) So I was wondering if Oxbow regal rat was good alternative?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I know a lot of rats don't like Regal Rat, and some rat owners say RR is not as good as a lab block. I recommend Harlan Teklad as probably the best lab block available, and you can buy it online at (broken link removed) where the proceeds go to the rescue.

https://mainelyratrescue.org/store2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2 (<b>2016</b>)is best for adult rats, https://mainelyratrescue.org/store2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3 (<b>2018</b>)is best for young rats (6-7 mo.).

(broken link removed)forum is a great forum for rat owners. You should check 'em out!

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
A lot of people on Goosemoose are not feeding lab blocks due to the corn content. Most of us are free-feeding Solid Gold Holistique Blenz dog food. That is what I have been feeding my rats for close to two years and they are doing very well. They also get an all organic Suebees mix as a treat once a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.