Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Upper levels... Without zipties?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Is it possible to build an upper level, without zip ties?

I don't have an upper level at the moment, but I enjoy rebuilding my cage, and it is tons of work to un-do and re-do zipties, plus the guy at the hardware store gives me a weird look every time I buy $40 worth of zip ties. Especially when I do it more than once a month. lol

I did a forum search and didn't find much.

So, basically, is it possible to build a sturdy(SAFE!) upper level, without sip ties?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Yeah, as long as your connectors go together correctly. My first planned cage was sturdy with connectors. (I had to use zip ties because I was going to make doors) I used a small hammer, and just hit them together. pliers work too but you sometimes end up making it worse when you try to fix a gap lol. Just go real slow and it should be fine. I personally like the look better with connectors over zip ties but it really only works for open cages and mine is closed.

Yes if you have the solid connectors. The last package of grids I've bought have these very cheap ones. Plastic is thinner. So I wont use them on my second floor when I expand it. You might need a support, depending how you making it.

I was wondering because I have storage above my cage, and I used connecters, I am pretty sure it would be solid.

I have 2 types of grids, rubbermaid, and closet maid. The connectors that came with both were very sturdy.

I was wondering because I have storage above my cage, and I used connecters, I am pretty sure it would be solid.

I have 2 types of grids, rubbermaid, and closet maid. The connectors that came with both were very sturdy.

I'd say you will be fine then. Just take your time at it. If one connector is too far out then it messes it all up.

I always wondered why zipties have to close permanently. You would think somebody would invent a version that you could remove by releasing a tiny bit of plastic or twisting the tie out of position.
$40 for zipties sure is a lot of zipties! I get mine at Big Lots or the dollar store and places like that. I got a packet of 100 for about $3 last time and they are lasting me quite a while. They came in sets of different colors and lengths in that packet but I don't care, since I snip them close to the grids.

I don't know, but I personally wouldn't trust just connectors. If one pops out of place there is a chance the whole thing could fall apart.

What I recently found works *great* for removing zip ties is pliers. I've also heard of some zip ties that have a tab to allow you to re-use them.

Also, the best deal for zip ties I've found is $8 for 650 white ties. They are at Home Depot and are by Commercial Electric.

Its $7 for 100. So, $40 wont buy you many. And thats for boring white, for colours you would want to make it a lot more.

BZC, I will look into that.

What is big lots?

Here are some releasable cable ties on Amazon:

(broken link removed)

Big Lots is a discount chain store. I think it sells closeouts, I haven't been to one in awhile. They used to be called Pick-n-Save.

I have 4 dogs & 3 cats, so we zip tie A LOT. I don't care how high up I put the cage, or how far back it goes on a table...those 7 babies are always up to mischief when it comes to the pigs. I buy the big lots of 650 from Home Depot too. A pair of wire snips (like you'd use for electrical work) is the best we have found so far to remove them, otherwise bone shears (heavy duty kitchen scissors) work well too.

Something we recently started trying for the lid to make it easier to take off & on, is those little locking carbiners. I'd love to try them on the framing grids, but I can't find anything that small that is also easier to get off & on for remodeling.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.