Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Got coro but no cubes..snif..

Deirdre

Cavy Slave
I do have 2 questions:

1). When you make a lid with the cubes, do you have to use a different connector thing so it can swing open?

2). For the dowels: I'm not sure I understand how they are supposed to be attached and how they support more.

And:

I am so annoyed! I went to a bunch of stores and none of them have the cubes IN store. Bed, Bath and Beyond had them but just sent them back since "Back to school" was over. (boooo)

I tried (some even though their sites said online only): Office Depot, Home Depot, Lowes, Super Target, Walmart.....

Any idea of stores I haven't tried?

So I'm going to place an order online. Does anyone know how fast they actually ship? I need to figure something out over the weekend though.

I waited way too long for this, it kinda crept up on me.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I ordered some from Walmart a few weeks ago (they had them as "free shipping to your home) and they came within 24 hours! I was amazed. I think they still have that offer on the white ones?

Edit: yes, the white ones say "free shipping to home". Obviously I don't know how long yours will take, but it might be worth a shot:

Walmart.com: Whitmor White Wire Storage Cubes, Four Cubes Interlocked: Kids' & Teen Rooms

They also have them at Amazon:
Amazon.com: Whitmor 6070-1723 4 Storage Cubes, Black: Home & Garden

and apparently people frequently buy them together with zip ties! lol

Edit2 (In which I actually answer your questions :))
1. You can make a sort of "hinge" using zip ties or a velcro strap. Don't tie them too tightly or the zip ties will burst, leave enough "give" so that the door swings open.
2. You can zip tie the dowels along the length of the finished cage or lid - just literally zip tie them to the grids once you have the cage or lid assembled. I'm not sure if that is very clear?

Last edited:

Deirdre

Cavy Slave
I'm in Oklahoma so I don't know. Their estimate scares me. The expedited shipping made me go :eye-poppi .

I can expedite shipping on BBB and for 5 it would be 135$ which isn't too bad.

Now I sent my husband to get the coro from a place here in town (and they gave us 3 sheets for free!) Is this the right stuff? I know it's corrugated plastic but I'm wondering if it's too thick (sorry for the crappy dark pic).

Edit: Yeah that makes sense. I was going to do that with the lids until I found out what people used. I've seen some pics where it looks like they are using something like connectors. I'll have to find it again. I need to bookmark these pictures.

And for the dowels: it's clear, I'm just wondering how that's gonna help it support. I'll just do it and figure it out!

cam767

Cavy Slave
That is the correct coroplast. 3 sheets free?! Lucky dog!! Sometimes (most times?) the grids come with connectors. You should still use cable ties to help secure it and make it more sturdy. I personally now wish I didn't use the connectors. Since I've changed our cage 3 times (and we've only had piggies 1-1/2 weeks) they are a thorn in my side. They just always happen to be where I don't want them. lol

We made one of our doors to "fold" open. Here's a pic. We just used cable ties to do it.
Got coro but no cubes..snif..

I'm still trying to figure out easier doors for the bottom (they swing out) but that is another subject.

As for the dowels and supporting I think the theory is that it helps to stop any sagging the middle might do. I didn't have that problem when I had a 1x2 kitchen and separate 1x2 hay loft. Now that I've made a combined 2x2 kitchen/hay loft I noticed it was sagging. Because I had no dowels handy and I did have PVC I just cut a piece down and stuck it in there for a "middle beam". I may switch to the dowels down the road. I can tell it will be a pain to pull that out when removing and adding fleece.

Deirdre

Cavy Slave
Ok cool!! Yeah the guy told my husband that it would just be easier for him to just put them as a loss instead of selling them...I'm going to make a combo rabbit (bottom) and 2 level piggy cage on top. I was afraid the coro was too thick but I told hubby to tell the guy that it was the kind for signs and he should know. Score!

I'm hesitating with connectors or zip ties. I think that in a way the connectors would make it more stable but I'm not sure that's really true or not.

I'll try the dowels. I plan on having each piggy level swing down so we can clean it easier and the bottom for the bunny swing open (copying one of lissie's designs).

I was so looking forward to making it tonight!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
We use connectors and zip ties. It just seems to be more stable that way. Here's a pic of my cage:

Cage remodel - L-shaped 2x6 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

You can see we used connectors to join the grids together and then zip-tied them (if you enlarge the pic, you can see the little black things below each connector) for added stability.

Cam767 is right, the dowels stop middles (of lids and bases) from sagging. Will try and get you a pic of my non-saggy lid this weekend. Somehow that sounds kind of rude... :)

PS. Just had a thought. Try Craigslist for cubes/grids. Some people on here have scored some that way!

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
I think connectors would make it more stable.

On the other hand using just zip ties was kind of nice when I did it because I didn't have to measure and account for the connectors sticking out here and there. If you don't plan for them being there you can dent or pull up some of your coroplast because it will be weighed down on the edge of a connector. If that makes sense.

Also, the dowel will support the grids from caving in or sagging because the grids will hit the dowel and not be able to sink any lower. The grids have more give than you might think without any supports under them.

Good luck!

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you really can't find grids, you can use wire closet shelves. You can find those at Home Depot, Lowes, or other home improvement stores.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
The dowels really do help. I have a C&C condo, with 3 levels of 2x5 cages. The bottom cage is 2 grids high, so that it can act as a home base for the bunnies. The piggy cages are on top. I have two dowels that run the width of the cage (compared to the length of the cage) - and they stop the middle cage sagging. I also then put a grid inside the middle cage and that stops the top cage sagging. The grid sits in the middle of the middle cage, so that the pigs can run either side. It does take away from floor space a little, but as the 2x5 is shared by 2 females I don't think it really matters (considering they were in a 2x3 which is the absolute minimum).

If it helps, I can attach a picture for you.

Deirdre

Cavy Slave
I ordered the cubes from BBB and expedited them. Hopefully, I'll get the Monday. Just need to figure something for the weekend.

I think once I get the thing built, it will give me a better idea for the dowels. I'm a visual person and I can read things over and over and not get it until I see it. I have a saw so cutting the dowels won't be an issue as far as length/width goes. I'm thinking width would help more too but I'll figure it out!

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
Have you tried K-Mart? They sell a 6 cube set for just $15.00. I was SO suprised when I saw them. They were the right size and everything. I normally don't ever go to K-Mart but I just happened to cross this great deal! Just make sure the squares in the grid aren't to big (9x9 is the right size; what I got). Its a really good deal.
I hope I helped!

Deirdre

Cavy Slave
I didn't try Kmart. I didn't think of it at all. We have one but it's pretty small and I forget it's there.
I ordered them and they are arriving on Tuesday according to UPS tracking.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
Yeah it's funny. I didn't post that message till after you already bought them. I guess I didn't see that message. Well I'm glad you found some!

SquareWheels30

Cavy Slave
This may be a stupid question, but how many individual grids do you get in a box of 4 cubes?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
This may be a stupid question, but how many individual grids do you get in a box of 4 cubes?

I think mine had 16 grids per box (I used the Bed, Bath and Beyond ones).

SquareWheels30

Cavy Slave
Thanks Sirene, Were (broken link removed) the ones you used?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Thanks Sirene, Were (broken link removed) the ones you used?

Not exactly. Mine are gray - I believe they are made by Neu Home? I don't see them on the BB&B site. But those ones you linked to should work just fine!

SquareWheels30

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your help, Sirene! So sorry for kind of hi-jacking your thread Deidre!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.