Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hopefully soon to be slave in Connecticut saying "Hi"

cam767

Cavy Slave
Hello,
My name is Charlene. I'm very excited to be a member of this group. Currently I am not a slave to any piggies...yet. I AM slave to 2 boys, 1 hubby, 1 dog, 1 cat, 3 ferrets, 1 bird. So let me tell you a little about us...unfortunately this will be a long post so I can cover as many things as possible.

My youngest son (10 years old) wants a pet of his own. He originally wanted a cat but because my oldest sons cat does have feline HIV that is not something I can do in good conscience. So we were going through a list of pets. He at first suggested a reptile (which I've had in the past and LOVE) but knowing him he is not a "lizard kind of kid" like me and my oldest son. So I suggested a guinea pig. He has been on the internet each night for about an hour each night learning what he could and taking notes in a special notebook marked "piggies" (very cute to watch!). He was the one to actually find this group. Knowing that he is 10 and is much to young to learn proper care I have also been doing my research and taking notes. Although this will be his pet I am not naive enough to think he can do this on his own and will need help both in monitoring food, health, cleaning responsibilities, etc. I wanted to outline my plan here and hopefully others could chime in on what I am lacking.

First of all I do know that the cat, dog and ferrets pose a risk to the piggies. I am now an expert at keeping different species of animals away from each other (except the cat and dog with their love/hate relationship). lol My bedroom and my youngest sons bedroom are in a finished basement. The cat and dog are both kept upstairs and do not come down here. My ferrets are kept in my bedroom because both the cat and especially the dog show too much interest in my ferrets. My bird is kept in the office because the cat, dog, and ferrets show too much interest in the bird. The piggies will be kept in my son's room thus keeping them from the cat, dog, bird, and ferrets.

Cage - So I am going to be building a C&C cage. 2x4 grids (with 9 squares). I saw someone post a link to Staples and I also found some at Bed, Bath, and Beyond that have the correct spacing. I am starting with a lower level and will eventually expand to an upper level too. I've been looking over all the cages and have a couple of questions. I want to put the cage up on maybe milk crates to get it up off the floor. If I do this do you think it would be stable enough? Do I need a bottom on the cage? Also I've been looking at the shelving for the top. How do you attach this? When I do add the upper level can I use this shelving as the base to put the coroplast on? I'm sure building this will be no problem once I get my last few questions worked out. When I built a viv for my waterdragon (RIP...I miss him :weepy:) it was 6'x5'x3' complete with heated pool and waterfall and took a year of planning. This should be much simplier if I could only wrap my head around it. Anywho....I digres. I've also heard and seen some ramps that were external to keep the living quarters more open. I liked this idea but wanted to know how to attach it and make it all secure. I don't want to learn the hard way (ie piggie gets hurt) that I goofed. I've seen some pics but if someone could give me some written pointers I would feel much more confident.

Bedding - haven't decided what to go with yet. Still reading various posts on this and trying to weigh pros and cons to each.

Food - planning to feed Oxbow Cavy Performance (hoping to get 2 younger piggies) and switching to Cavy Cuisine when they are over a year. Also 1 cup fruit/veggies per piggie....is this correct? Any suggestions on a normal "menu"? I know some fruits/veggies have more vitamin C than others so want to make sure I have this right. My oldest son (16) is into gardening and is starting an organic garden (in pots) for our new editions. He's even growing dandelions so we don't have to worry about pestacides from neighbors. Also Timothy Hay available at all times. About how much hay do they go through a month? Next to the enclosure I am going to post a log/checklist on a clip board to help my son monitor what they are eating and how to feed them properly. I already started the "never feed them this" list (ice burg lettuce, nuts, seeds, raw beans, rhubarb, potatoes, etc.) And would like to start a list of "extra good for them and should have (blank) times a day/week".

Supplement - Should I trust the diet is giving them vitamin C they need or should I start supplementing from day 1? I know it should be a human tablet cut up. NO supplements added to water.

Toys/hiddies - no GP ball. Got it. Tubes (big enough so they don't get stuck) is a plus (I have plenty because of the ferrets). Cozy sacks are nice (have bunches of those because of the ferrets too). TP and papertowel rolls cut open are fun. Paper bags (no plastic) allowed on the floor during supervised play time. Igloos and such are appreciated. Any other things your piggie finds extra fun that our little ones may like?

Breeders - Is anyone here a reputable breeder in the southeastern CT or RI area? Would like to get 2 female piggies maybe in late August or even September. I haven't seen any younger ones at the rescues within an hours driving distance. If it was me I would get the oldest one and love it for as long as possible but I can't because this is for my son. He's a very sensitive little boy and it would break his heart if shortly after receiving a piggie it passed from old age.

Any pointers or adivce is most welcome. Please be gentle.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Food - planning to feed Oxbow Cavy Performance (hoping to get 2 younger piggies) and switching to Cavy Cuisine when they are over a year. Also 1 cup fruit/veggies per piggie....is this correct? Any suggestions on a normal "menu"? I know some fruits/veggies have more vitamin C than others so want to make sure I have this right. My oldest son (16) is into gardening and is starting an organic garden (in pots) for our new editions. He's even growing dandelions so we don't have to worry about pestacides from neighbors. Also Timothy Hay available at all times. About how much hay do they go through a month? Next to the enclosure I am going to post a log/checklist on a clip board to help my son monitor what they are eating and how to feed them properly. I already started the "never feed them this" list (ice burg lettuce, nuts, seeds, raw beans, rhubarb, potatoes, etc.) And would like to start a list of "extra good for them and should have (blank) times a day/week".
You want to switch to Cavy Cuisine at 6 months and not 1 year to reduce calcium intake. It's 1 cup of veggies per pig. Fruits need to be fed sparingly and not very often. If you look in the Diet and Nutrition forum, at the top are many sticky threads to include a sample menu's thread and my nutrition charts which are color coded to tell you how often something can be fed.

Supplement - Should I trust the diet is giving them vitamin C they need or should I start supplementing from day 1? I know it should be a human tablet cut up. NO supplements added to water.
Start giving veggies as soon as you get them. But also know that it can take some pigs days to weeks to even months to eat veggies. You want to start with daily staples which are lettuces (several varieties but no iceburg), cilantro and bell pepper. Give only these things until they eat them consistently then once they do you can start adding in one new veggie about every 4 days. Chances are you won't need to do a supplement.

Breeders - Is anyone here a reputable breeder in the southeastern CT or RI area?
This is an anti-breeding site. We do not allow breeders to advertise their stock here. Please find a cavy rescue or shelter and adopt pigs and not buy from breeders. There are already too many homeless pigs out there without adding even more.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site. Please don't support breeders. I checked petfinder with your location, there are are least 50 piggies in CT area and 20 of them are listed as baby/young.

Please check petfinder here.

Also note that, if you get your pigs from a breeder, it's more likely that the pigs are sick and may die even sooner than adoptable pigs.

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site!

Ly and Lissie pretty much covered it all.

So I'll just say, hope you enjoy this site and all the wonderful information!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you've done a lot of research! Welcome to the site! You can also check out Craigslist for available pigs (avoiding breeders, though). There are a lot of pigs posted whose owners no longer want them :-(.

cam767

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. I did know not to feed as many fruits but thank you for pointing that out. I made my notes clearer so I wouldn't make a mistake like I did with the typing. I will look for the color coded charts. That will definitely make life a little simpler so I don't have to guess if we are doing a well balanced diet. And thanks for the advice on how to introduce the different veggies to the piggies.

I did not realize to switch to Cavy Cuisine so fast. I was going by the instructions on the manufacturer website. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

I was also reading about nail trimming and frequency. Is there any tricks you want to share on how to keep them still while trimming nails? I have a trick for the dog, ferrets, and even bird so that they hardly realize what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

Please adopt a piggie in need. It's not that hard to find a young guinea pig. As cute as baby guinea pigs are I find them to be a bit hard to handle and overall jumpy until they reach about 8 months.

Guinea pigs live an average of 5-8 years, buying a baby from a breeder isn't going to secure that you'll have this piggie for a long time. Unfortunately death is a natural part of life and it's not something that can be avoided.

There may be pigs on petfinder from some rescues. Maybe you and your son can look for guinea pigs to adopt together. I think it would be a rewarding experience and something he would never forget.

piggy2470

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Adopt, please! You'll have guinea pigs all the same, and make a difference in their lives.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You'll have no trouble finding guinea pigs to adopt here in the Northeast. Our own Vermont rescue has many, with as many as 20 more arriving soon ! Good luck with your search !

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Welcome. I'm also from CT, originally from Stonington.

There is a guinea pig rescue that sometimes has babies in Durham. You can also find pigs on Craigslist, often young ones. Keep in mind that a pig can live for 5-8 years so even a young adult pig will live for a long time. Yes, baby pigs are very cute but they're only small for a very, very short time.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig's can live a long time so even rescuing a year old you can have them for a long time. My oldest pig Mama, I don't know how old she was when I got her but I've had her around 6 years. Can't really remember. My memory is bad.

I also just rescued a 4 or 5 month old. Rescuing them is very rewarding.

I don't want you you to think I'm jumping on you. Just what I like to do.

GuineaMom

Cavy Slave
Hi!
Welcome to the forums.
I really can't help with your ramp questions, because I myself do not keep my piggies in a cage (they have a piggie-proof room), but I wish you luck in finding out how! Perhaps you could find a video or something that shows you how?
A fun thing most piggies love is Cuddle Cups. A Cuddle Cup looks like this () and you can either buy them, or make your own if you know how to sew.
My piggies love the cat toys you get with the bells inside. When I first got a few of them, my piggies went crazy for them! Toys really vary on what your piggie likes. Experimenting with safe things you find around the house is always fun, and you may just find a new hit with your piggies.
Good luck, and enjoy your piggies when you get them!

Last edited:

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I hope you find the right adoptable pigs for you. Pigs, of any kind, are great friends!

flomopiggie5

Cavy Slave
Welcome to this site! It sounds like you've done a lot of research! But you should never buy a guinea pig from a pet shop or get one from a breeder! You should always adopt! You'll be helping a pig and saving a life! Please don't breed or buy while shelter pigs die, their are a lot on petfinder.com and a lot of them are young, but sometimes older pigs are already tame and make great pets too! Tame meaning that they are already used to being petted and being picked up! Hope you find your new pigs soon!

cam767

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I found a bonded pair of GPs that we may be able to adopt. I want to say that "I" can adopt but they will "technically" be my 10 year-old son's. I'm already planning the big "take over". lol We are going up to meet them the 1st weekend in September. I sure hope they are as sweet as they sound and that they like us! Their names are Levi and Inca. Levi is a boar (now neutered) and Inca is a sow and both are around 1 year old. They were found loose on a street in mid May in New Haven. One of the ACOs contacted the shelter and they took them in. Inca was pregnant when they found her and she had babies 4 weeks ago. Both are healthy and sweet. I can't WAIT to go see them and hopefully bring them home. Their "apartment" is almost done and I sure hope they like that too. I've been spending an hour or two each night on this sight going through posts to make sure I have everything I need and understand their care. I think I have everything straight but I'm sure once they are home I'll find a million more questions. Tomorrow I'm going on the great hay hunt for a bale of hay! I can only imagine the looks I'm going to get reading off of my piece of paper and saying I need 2nd or 3rd cut such and such. lol If I could figure out how to post pics I would post the one they sent to me. They are such a handsome pair. I'll try to figure that out tomorrow. It's late and I'm getting ready for bed soon but I just wanted to share our news. I'm very excited. :)

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Hey and welcome to GPC! Sorry I missed this thread earlier, but welcome!

I am glad to hear that you are adopting those 2 pigs! From the looks of your plan, they are going to be some spoiled pigs! This is the site where nothing is too absurd when it comes to piggies- reading things off a list does not even come close to comparing to what some of us have done. :)

At the very top of the site, underneath the little Guinea Pig Cages logo and above the beige bar with your username is a list of options: Home Forum Photo Galleries Upload Photoes, etc. Click Upload Photos. Its pretty straight forward from there on.

Good luck with your soon-to-be additions!

cam767

Cavy Slave
Thanks! That worked. I uploaded the photo there. It's titled Levi & Inca. Levi is the handsome rust colored guy and Inca is the black, white, and rust beauty. :)

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!!! I'm glad you found a pair.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.