Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Seperating the male babies from Momma

Whooie

Cavy Slave
Hello.

My babies will be 21 days old this friday (7/16/2010) but they are trying to mate with the Momma already. Is it too soon to seperate them? They are eating well, doing well. I don't want another unexpected pregnancy.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
You probably could put them in with your male at this point without any issue. They should stay with you until they are at least 6 weeks old and they will learn a lot from their father on how to be a guinea pig.

3Piggles

Cavy Slave
Three weeks is about the maximum time it's safe to leave males with their moms/sisters. Twitterpopcorns suggestion is good, but make sure you enlarge the boar cage so the dad doesn't get territorial. Brothers start off friendly, but as they mature and reach puberty, around 7-10 months, they start fighting for dominance. Having dad in the cage may set strong dominance, or it may not effect much. Depends on how many young boars brothers you have. Good luck!!!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They are practicing. It's highly unlikely they can impregnate mom at this stage. I've only known of one case where a boar younger than 21 days impregnated his mother and this is out of thousands of users cavies. The chances are very slim of any baby boars impregnating the mom.

I would not separate until the 21st day.

Oreolovescookie

Cavy Slave
So its okay to have dad and son together after son is separated from momma pig? We want to keep one of the pups after the litter is ready to separate from mom and wanted another male with dad. Wasn't sure if that was okay?

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
Yes, he will nanny the young ones until you can rehome them.

Oreolovescookie

Cavy Slave
we will re home the others.. but keep one male pup with dad.. Just wanted to make sure it was okay for Dad to have one of his male pups.. We will have a big enough cage for the two of them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.