Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions A Stroke?

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I haven't been on here in ages. My old username was DraDra... I'm not quite sure why I can't remember my password. Anyways, I have a really odd scenario, and I'd like your advice.
My guinea pig, Mailen, was healthy and normal until Wednesday morning. I woke up and found him laying on his side. His eyes and nose were crusty, and he couldn't get up. When I tried to help him get up, he wobbled and fell back on his side. I had to go to school, and he stayed with my mother in a shoe box (he couldn't move, and we didn't want him in the same cage with his cagemate). We all thought he was dying and there was nothing a vet could do. I thought it was a stroke. Is that possible? When I came home from school, I gave him some water and lettuce, and this time when I helped him up, he stayed up. At first he was resting against the bedding in the box, but eventually he was able to stand on his own and shuffle around. We were all appalled at this new turn of events...
We put him in a pet store cage (he still wasn't able to move around quite as well, and the size was adequate to his needs). His eyes and nose cleared up, and he's eating and drinking normally. I lifted him out of his cage to clean it, and he was moving all four of his feet normally (previously, his left back foot appeared paralyzed). I let him wander around for a little while, and it still seems like he's using all four feet normally, and it's not just my imagination.
Would putting him back in the 4x4 with his cagemate be good for him? His nose and eyes aren't crusty anymore, his breathing is normal, and he appears to be perfectly healthy. However, I don't want the stress of the larger cage and his buddy to give him problems. What would you do?

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
Did you take the Guinea pig to the vet? I would have the vet run tests on him and see what they thought before I would put them in a cage with a cagemate. I would get them in asap and see what they thought is going on or happened and check him to see if he is healthy or not. I would keep them seperate until I made all these moves first. I am no expert, so I could not venture on a guess of what it could be, but I would get him to a cavy savy vet first thing.. ;) Sorry, I could not help more.. Hope he is ok!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.