Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Is my cage large enough if I take in one more?

maybesomeday

Cavy Slave
I have 2 girls currently (approximately 4 months old) and am upgrading from a 2x3 C&C to a 2x4 with a loft off the end (so the floor space of a 2x5 essentially) this week as a matter of fact. I just had the bedspreads made for a 2x4 and they are being delivered tomorrow.

There is a lone girl piggy being offered on our local Craigslist (which I really need to stop looking thru) and the lady said she's only had her for a couple weeks but doesn't have time for her.:guilty: If I could I'd adopt every piggy off CL, but of course I can't. Anyway, I was thinking about asking the lady if I can just take her for free since I don't need the cage, etc. and introduce her to my girls (properly of course). She looks big, so I assume is older but I'll get all that info if I contact her. So, now my actual question...is the 2x4 okay for all 3? I know that's the minimum but is it sufficient? The cage she shows on CL is one of the tiny pet store cages so I think her girl will love the extra room no matter what. What do you all think? Any other suggestions?:?:

If I were you I would take off the loft and make the cage into 2x5 or 3x4.

If I were you I would take off the loft and make the cage into 2x5 or 3x4.

The problem is everything was just recently made for a 2x4 so to redo it all now is not a possibility unless I somehow could make a ramp over the 6" side and make the extra space the kitchen on the bottom. Either way, if the kitchen is up or on the bottom, the main "running area" will still be 2x4.

I have 3 females in a 2 x 5 with loft. I think they'd be crowded in a 2 x 4 with loft.

I agree, 2X5 is crowded for 3 piggies. I know it meets the standards but our three are in a 2 X 5 1/2 and I'll soon be expanding because I find they don't have enough room to properly run around and play.

You could take the petstore cage and expand the cage your cage with that. :) That's what I'm doing.

Technically, you could fit the three pigs in a 2x4. Females only, though. But even so it may not be adequate cage space. I think it would be a good idea to build her own C&C cage that she can live in during quarantine, and then after she's done you can somehow connect the two cages together, if possible.

Good luck!

The problem is everything was just recently made for a 2x4 so to redo it all now is not a possibility unless I somehow could make a ramp over the 6" side and make the extra space the kitchen on the bottom. Either way, if the kitchen is up or on the bottom, the main "running area" will still be 2x4.
Just cut a little slot in the coro that's big enough for them to jump through.

It sounds a little cramped...my girls are in a 3x5 with a loft and even while they have so much space I STILL feel it's a little small...but that's just me xD

But I agree with what sdpiggylvr said. Maybe you could have two seperate C&Cs of the same size across from each other and have a ramp to connect them...

2 x 4 is the minimum for three sows. I considered it also, but I worry about disrupting the pair I have. What would I do if they don't get along so well, would I be able to expand and such? So at this time I decided not to disturb the girls, although I too would love to rescue one of the 10 at the humane society :sad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.