Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites New cage=mites?

ingrid

Cavy Slave
From what I have read, mites can lay dormant in pigs and come back in times of stress or illness. I have just made a 2 story 2x5 for my pair of boars and today is their first day in it. I have noticed a lot more chattering and mounting and I can only assume it is because of the new surroundings. Maybe because it is 2 levels?

Anyway, is a new cage stressful enough to bring back mites? I don't know if they have ever had them and they aren't showing any signs of it (scratching, dandruff, etc) or anything I was just wondering what the chances are of this occurring.

It's not probable, but is possible. If you wanted you could treat for mites now, proactively, or wait to see if you see any symptoms.

I'd hate to treat if they don't really have them, I'm so scared that I would mess up the dose! I wouldn't think anything of it if they weren't acting so stressed and crotchety towards each other.

I am monitoring them pretty closely obviously because they are my piggies but even more so now because I like to admire the handiwork of my new cage. :D If I see the slightest sign I'll treat them. Or, most likely, take them to the vet.

I'm worried about scraping too though. Our vet is an exotics vet and seems very smart about pigs but I haven't been to him with a problem yet. I've heard that scrapings are painful to the pigs and something else...maybe that they are inaccurate? I can't remember.

You can treat for mites without a vet visit, so you won't have to worry about any skin scrapings. Check out the treatment info at Guinea Lynx, then post your dosages here for people to double check for you.

Ivermectin won't hurt them if they don't have mites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.