Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Rhode Island. :)

Chantilly

Cavy Slave
Hello, I've been popping in this forum from time to time since the first time I saw C&C cages. I have a hedgehog we built a C&C cage for, and 3 cornsnakes (they are only fed frozen food!❤️), and browsing around here for the past couple of months I think I may add a guinea pig to my family. :)

I guess I'm mainly looking for advice to get started, and it looks like everything I need to know is here, although I'm having trouble finding a place to adopt a guinea pig and not buy a guinea pig. I have plenty of time while I set up my new friend's home though.

Well, just wanted to say hello, and hopefully within a few weeks I'll have pig pictures to post too. :)

~Chantilly

Welcome! You've come to the best resource for guinea pig owners (and fanatics) on the internet.

...I think I may add a guinea pig to my family.

Good choice! Guinea pigs rank up there, in my opinion, as one of the best pets.

...I'm having trouble finding a place to adopt a guinea pig and not buy a guinea pig.

I'm glad you're opting to adopt instead of buy. Have you checked Petfinder or Craigslist? HERE's a Petfinder search for pigs in RI.

I have plenty of time while I set up my new friend's home though.

Have you considered adopting two guinea pigs? There are many health and social benefits for a pig that come from living with another of its species. I highly recommend it. Read more HERE.

Wow, thank you for the AWESOME links. Me and my husband have been talking about whether 1 or 2 guinea pigs would be better, but weren't really sure, that link has all the information we were looking for. I guess my real initial worry with getting 2 pigs is if they had irreconcilable differences, I wouldn't have space for 2 guinea pig cages (and I wouldn't want to have to re-home a pet I was responsible for!). But, it sounds like if they are introduced properly this isn't a cause for concern. Cool! :)

I was looking at Petfinder earlier, there are a couple in Rhode Island but a lot are pretty far from us. I'll have to keep an eye on craigslist too, I hadn't thought of that for some reason! I really like the long haired varieties , although they seem pretty scarce! I'm sure I will find the perfect pig(s!) in time. :love:

Hi there Chantilly. Im from Connecticut, actually pretty close to the RI border. Like sdpiggylvr already said, Petfinder.com is a really good spot to look. I found one of my boys there. Good luck!

Wow, FINALLY people near me! I'm right by you both Suzq and Chantilly. I live right on the RI border in CT and I live part time in RI over the summer.

Anyway, Chantilly, a lot of people that put their guinea pigs up on craigslist put them in pairs (or at least I've found a lot of pairs) so you might get lucky and get a pre-bonded pair like I did.

Just saw 2 pairs on craigslist in RI if it helps

(broken link removed) -2 males
(broken link removed) -2 females

Hope I helped! :)

Yeah! Once I found the right place to look on craigslist (I was doing searches in the wrong section) I'm finding a lot of potential piggies. I can't get any coroplast until Tuesday so I'll be waiting until then to start talking.

I've read a 2x4 cage is big enough, but a 2x6 cage is ideal.. would a 3x4 or 4x4 cage be any better, or not really because they need the added length for running? I can definitely fit ?x4 and maybe ?x5 in the space we are thinking about, but ?x6 is too big unfortunately.

I had SO much fun building our other C&C cage, I'm really looking forward to making another!

Well, I saw an add on craigslist today for a 2 free guinea pigs in my town. I called up the family and they were right around the corner so I HAD to go check it out. Unfortunately, they only had 1 guinea pig left, a HUGE boy named Cookie. He is 2 years old, and the had to give him away because a family member developed allergies. I didn't even know they could get this big! I think he may be a little overweight, but I'm really not sure.

He is a joy. I never owned a guinea pig before. I can't wait to see his reaction when we build his new big cage tomorrow. His current cage that came with him is pretty big, so when I find a friend for him, I can use it to quarantine.

I'm just so impressed. He just plopped right down on our laps and relaxed. My sister loves him and now wants her own set of guinea pigs. They certainly are endearing creatures. He didn't poop on any of us and we held him for quite awhile. Once we put him in his cage he pooped. Is that just lucky, or do a lot of guinea pigs "hold it" while you hold them?

Sorry for the long post, we are all just so happy and excited to have Cookie. I'm so nervous about getting another pig, I feel like I have to try really hard to get the perfect friend for him. If this isn't the right place to ask questions, I'm sorry, just let me know and I'll repost them in the right place!!

Thanks so much everyone for all your help so far!

Congratulations on your new pig! He sounds lovely!

I got both of mine from Craigslist, too (they were already a pair) and they are just the best little guys!

(And yes, they do tend to "hold it in" when you're holding them. Once my snuggly pig relaxes, though, look out - floodgates are open! lol)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.