Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, hello!

melinda

Cavy Slave
Hello, hello! I am a homeschooling mom of 3, living in semi-rural Maryland. We are excited to be bringing some pigs into our home next weekend. What is a good number to start with? At this point, the plan is to house 3 of them in a 3 level 2x5 C&C cage (we are building that this weekend). Is that too much space for just three?

Anyhow, I look forward to getting to know all of you!

2x5 on each level, or 2x5 in total?

Welcome to the forums!

Hi and welcome. Where are you getting your piggies from?

I doubt it is possible to have TOO much space for piggies. Some people give them whole rooms for free range. For me the limitation on the size of the cage is due not only to available space (we don't have a lot) but also how big a cage I can clean well every 5 days.

A three level cage sounds awesome! but don't be surprised if they are afraid to go up the ramp even to the second level. When you say 2x5 you mean that the ground floor 'footprint' of the cage is 2x5, right?

Hi and welcome. Where are you getting your piggies from?

I doubt it is possible to have TOO much space for piggies. Some people give them whole rooms for free range. For me the limitation on the size of the cage is due not only to available space (we don't have a lot) but also how big a cage I can clean well every 5 days.

A three level cage sounds awesome! but don't be surprised if they are afraid to go up the ramp even to the second level. When you say 2x5 you mean that the ground floor 'footprint' of the cage is 2x5, right?

Thanks for the warm welcome (both of you)!

I am getting the pigs from a guy who has bred peruvian/silky crosses and texels for years and has decided to quit doing it because he is about to turn 60. I am taking all of the adult girls he has left, which will be either 3 or 4 (hopefully 3).

Yes, the footprint I am planning to do is 2x5. I bought 2 coroplast ramps with built in traction on ebay today, and I figure I can either give them 3 levels or I can get some boys too and split them up by gender with each side having two levels (hope that makes sense). I plan to make the front of each level open-able, so that I can slide the coroplast "drawers" in and out for easy cleaning.

All of the cage designs on this site have been tremendously helpful. Thanks, by the way, for the advice that they may not know what to do with the ramps right away.

Hello! It sounds like a great plan! Welcome to the forum! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.