Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cat proofing????

M

mkkayla

cat proofing????

Hi, I'm new here and we don't yet have a guinea pig. My daughter wants one, so I have been doing some research. I have determined that I want to get 2 instead of one and therefore need a fairly large cage (2 X 4 C&C). We had originally intended to put this cage in the entry hall to keep it away from the cats, but my entry hall is not large enough for that size cage. I have 6 indoor cats, all but one are declawed, but it's there teeth I am worried about. I know I can make a top for it, but I am concerned about my cats cooperating in some way and possibly knocking the cage over or off the table if I set it up in the living room (the only place I have room for it). I can't see restricting the cats from the living room because I only have a small house (5 rooms) and the cats need every inch of it to keep from killing each other. Any ideas on creating a truly cat proof cage would be appreciated. Thanks,

Attachments

After his bath! Aug 2012.jpg with his carrot!.JPG in the kitchen!.JPG

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: cat proofing????

There is no way a dozen cats will be able to knock off a 2x4 grid cage from a table. With the bedding, houses, pigs, grids, etc, etc they are not exactly light. Reinforce grid connections with cable ties. Use organizational shelving for a top and you will be just fine. Really.

Attachments

034.jpg
M

mkkayla

What is and where do you get organizational shelving?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Any home improvement store. Home Depot, etc.

It's the white coated wire shelving you see in laudry rooms and closets.

G

Gertie Pig

Cat Proofing Cage

We have two cats so even if you can keep the cats out of the cage, keep their nails trimmed. Ours like to try and comb the pigs hair when she is on the edge of the cage. If your cats are very courious or aggressive try a product called "Soft Paws" they are little glue on nail covers so they can't claw anything. They work GREAT! I buy mine from the vet but I think you can get them off the web page. Check out their webpage www.softpaws.com

Gertie Pig

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.