Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Adopted some rats!

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! About a month ago, I adopted four female rats from a shelter. I'm new to rats...I bought them a huge cage, some recycled paper bedding, and igloo, a sleep box...everything! They are spoiled. But I am having a hard time finding lab block type food for them. They get veggies and what not every day, but when it comes to a normal staple food, the only thing I can find is food with the main source of corn. Does anyone know a good place to buy the food? They are currently eatting the food that they came with which is Kaytee forti-diet pro health. :confused: That food also has corn as the main ingrediant. Is that okay for rats because I know guinea pigs and rats have different needs when it comes to food. Any help is awesome! Thanks!

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
someone please respond. :(

Rachel-LLT

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I am so happy that you adopted your rat friends.
The best lab block food for ratties that I ever discovered is Harlan Teklad , You can find more information about it here - (broken link removed) and even purchase it from this web site. All purchases help the rat rescue, Kim's Ark :)
Some people create their own mixes ( mostly at a grocery store ), by buying the ingredients and mixing them together. A popular mix among rat owners is Suebee's mix - (broken link removed) . The only complaint I have heard about the Suebee's mix is it tend to cause overweight rats. In that case, some ingredients and amount would need to be modified.

I hope this helps! :)

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I'm new to this and I have no idea what I am doing yet. lol

AnW819

Cavy Slave
Kims Ark does not do the lab blocks anymore, and I am having a hard time finding them to. You can buy them online but the shipping prices are OUTRAGOUS. I am talking $15-$20...

This is what use to be called Harlan Teklad...

(broken link removed))

I also agree with Suebees mix. That is what I feed my rats and have been for years :)

Hope this helps!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.