Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

My name is Robin and I live in Canada. I am 30 years old and have 3 children. I used to have Guinea Pigs when I was 18 up until 24 years of age. That is when the last of my 3 babies passed away. I didn't get anymore at the time because I was to busy with my children to be able to provide all the love and attention that was needed.

Recently, I met a girl that had a Guinea Pig, and I was worried for the well being of him. There were a lot of concerns from housing, feeding, cleanliness and health. After talking to her for over a week about letting me help her to become better informed, I received a phone call to come and get him or she was just going to give him to whomever answered an add she was going to place.

Needless to say, I got there about an hour later and took him home with me. I grabbed the few things she had for him and made an emergency visit to the pet store the next day to get some proper pellets, hay, bedding. I am in the process of building him a bigger cage and do plan on getting another one to keep him company once it is built. Thankfully, the vet has given him a clean bill of health and says all he needs now is some love and attention.

I am extremely happy to have a Guinea again and glad that I found a place with like minded people :)

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I am glad you rescued a poor piggie about to be abandoned. Do you know if it is a boy or a girl? If you can get a same-sex cagemate for him or her, you will have one really happy piggy!

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
It is a boy, and I am hoping to have a cagemate for him by the end of the month.

Ferny

Cavy Slave
Hi! Well done for rescuing him, I look forward to seeing pictures! xx

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
Welcome fellow Canadian, haha. Can't wait to see pictures. Hope you enjoy the forum.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm glad that poor piggy was rescued by you.

What brands of food and hay did you buy? Most pet store food is low quality. With pet stores, you pay for the quality. (Ex: $10 on food = higher quality pellet)

I don't know if you've heard of (broken link removed)'sor not, but it is an exceptional company with top-notch pellets and hay. You should check them out. I just now found out that they do not ship hay to Canada, but do ship pellets.

How big of a C&C cage are you making? I'd like to see pictures sometime!

Rabbitsncavyluv's advice is good - make sure to adopt instead of buying a friend for your current pig.

Welcome, and good luck with your pig!

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They just said they were going to get a cagemate .. they didn't say they were going to adopt specifically.

HarelyQ

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the welcomes!! And it is nice to see a fellow Canadian.

I am sorry that I did not clarify earlier, but yes, I will be adopting a guinea cagemate. I have put the word out to the local SPCA. The closest guinea rescue is 8 hours away, but I have notified them also in case they have any from this area come up.

I have to admit, I was using an alfalfa based pellet, but will be picking up the Oxbow pellets tonight. I was just waiting for their shipment to come in. I am also using Oxbow hay.

Concerning the cage, I am looking at some designs and working out the amount of space I have. I have found some very nice ideas from this site. Right now, he is in a smaller cage, but from 10 am - 8 pm is on a makeshift floor cage. Unless I am out then he is in the cage. I am not happy with the situation, but am trying to quickly rectify that.

Here is my Guinea........Soon to be named

And here is his daytime floor cage

Hope those work.....I am new to posting pics in messages

CavyGrandmaa

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! That is soo great that you rescued your piggy. Good luck with your cage and new friend.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
He is adorable!! He looks like a very happy piggy!!

Welcome to GPC!! Please read the stickies at the top of each forum section, they are filled with great info. :cheerful:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum and thanks for helping out the little guy.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I hope he gets a name soon!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.