Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Best hidey and where to buy it?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
What is the best hidey out there, in your opinion? Where can you buy it?

I have some igloos from Petsmart, but I'm looking for something similar (or better!) from a store that doesn't sell animals. Any ideas?

I know Amazon has Timber Hide-Aways for about $20, but I would like to know, do people recommend these?

Thanks in advance.

I found a cat hidey this morning at Walmart for 3.88 that I am test driving. It's 15x15x15, has round holes in three sides for them to get into. It's taller than a normal cage, but I have my sides two grids high, because I have an escape artist. ;) So far, it's been a hit, but I am watching to see if they chew on it. If it becomes a chewing hazard, I will remove it. I just thought it would be fun for something new and if it doesn't work for $4 I can toss it. It would be fine for a kitten, but my cat wouldn't fit in the holes.

Fleece tents clipped to the side of the cage are the best hideys, in my opinion.
The piggies love them. We have a long piece of fleece and since our Badger tries to keep Tufty out of his space (growling and strutting), we prop up a box that a book came in, to make a front and a back tent, and then they both sleep in there peacefully. My husband calls it a "semi-detached tent".
I also like those little plastic footstools people are using--they have entrances on all 4 sides, perfect for piggies to keep a look-out. I don't have those because two would take up too much room. The fleece tents are great because you just flip them up to scoop out the poops.

I also have a loft made out of a fleece-covered mesh grid placed on 4 individually wrapped toilet paper rolls (with the TP still on! The kind of TP you get at Costco in huge blocks of rolls). Luckily my piggies do not chew these--and they are the perfect size 'pillars' for a loft. One piggie sleeps on top of the loft, the other under it. Like the step stools, there are 4 entries to the space under the loft. TP rolls are only about 4" high so the piggies slink to get under the loft and then sprawl out cutely. Often there is only one little paw sticking out but if you look under you can see a little nose.

Fleece tents clipped to the side of the cage ... [and] a loft made out of a fleece-covered mesh grid placed on 4 individually wrapped toilet paper rolls (with the TP still on! The kind of TP you get at Costco in huge blocks of rolls) ... One piggie sleeps on top of the loft, the other under it. Like the step stools, there are 4 entries to the space under the loft.

Pictures? :)

I make a hidey house that is also nice and open (great for warmer months) called the CozyCottage. The cover comes right off of the frame so you can easily wash it when needed. Because the cottage does not have a floor, it stays clean for quite a while making your laundry a lot less. If you do have to wash the cover it only takes up about as much room in the wash as a pillowcase. It is also safe to throw in the dryer. You can read more about them here and see the available fabric selections...
(broken link removed)

I am also running several specials right now including one on additional covers. Please check them out on the homepage.

Here are a few pictures of my personal pigs using the CozyCottage and CozyPads.

Dudley and Peabody

Hopkins

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like to place an order. I would love to make your piggies' their new home.

Last edited:
I make a hidey house that is also nice and open (great for warmer months) called the CozyCottage. The cover comes right off of the frame so you can easily wash it when needed. Because the cottage does not have a floor, it stays clean for quite a while making your laundry a lot less. If you do have to wash the cover it only takes up about as much room in the wash as a pillowcase. It is also safe to throw in the dryer. You can read more about them here and see the available fabric selections...
(broken link removed)

*Bookmarks site* ❤️

Cute! I love the idea. I will definitely take a look. Thanks!

Weaver, I love the Cozy Cottage - and those piggies are INTENSELY cute!! I just love the coloring and their sweet expressions. And the names! Dudley and Peabody! Are they named after Dudley Do-right and Mr. Peabody? What about Hopkins? Anthony perhaps?

SD--My camera doesn't work--I have tried to consult about it but no luck. My cousin, who's a photographer, did a 'photo shoot' of me in the piggies' cage. I will see if i can upload a snap that shows the little loft.

Thank you for your nice comments:cheerful:

As far as my piggies' names, yes the two boys are named after the charactors that you said. About four-five years ago all of my pigs were theme named after Rocky and Bull-Winkle. Most of those piggies have since past, but those two old guys are still going strong. Believe it or not they are six years old.

Hopkins is the only pig that I ever adopted that I kept his rescue name. I liked it a lot and it fit. Besides, he seemed like he liked it too, so why change it?;)

Ok I wanted to upload a pic but I saw that jpg file uploads can only have 97kb. But the photos my cuz gave me to email are all 197-224 kb.

There's another folder named "print size" which are even bigger, over 1MG!

Is it possible to make them smaller in kb without having to go find someone who has Photoshop?

Weaver, I love the Cozy Cottage - and those piggies are INTENSELY cute!! I just love the coloring and their sweet expressions. And the names!

Agreed. Cuteness alert! :important

My camera doesn't work--I have tried to consult about it but no luck. My cousin, who's a photographer, did a 'photo shoot' of me in the piggies' cage. I will see if i can upload a snap that shows the little loft.

That's okay. My sister broke my camera yesterday, so I know what you're talking about. :ashamed:

If you can, I'd love to see pictures, but don't stress over it if you can't. I'll survive. I think.

Those cottages are adorable! I'm going to the site now. :)

I second foot stools and fleece tents. I also like Weaver's idea and do something similar with a kitchen gadget meant for stacking dishes. I cover it with coroplast on top and then fleece so they go under or on top. I can also leave it open if it is warm out. My pigs like hiding under their hammocks and their bunkbeds. With 7 pigs in one cage, space is at a premium so I only use things that they can run through. I adore futons attached to the cage because it creates 2 places to sleep and takes up no floor space. :)

cfoster, you have great ideas too. I just wanted to mention though to be careful when using any kind of suspended bed with piggies. Hammocks and such can be very dangerous for piggies. They are just not very limber (unlike rats, chins, ferrets etc) and can easily get hurt trying to get up or down.

I really like these (broken link removed) I haven't got one yet, but they look awesome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.