Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n First Offical Vegitarian Meal

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I finally got my husband to eat something with tofu in it! :)

He was so stubborn about it. He wouldn't try any fake meat. I finally got him to try some Tofu Fingers from the recipe I found on peta2.com

Where can I find some other good vegitarian or vegan recipes?

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

jacblades

Cavy Slave
here is a recipe from the food network website. even my caveman boyfriend likes these!

baked tofu packages:
Marinade:
1 pound of tofu, extra firm
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of brown rice syrup
2 tablespoons of brown rice vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of grated ginger
2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Slice tofu into 1/4-inch thick slices. Places slices into a shallow baking dish with the above marinade ingredients. Be sure to coat each slice of tofu well. Marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour. Place the tofu slices on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake 30 minutes or until deep golden brown and crispy on the outside. The marinade can be saved to use again. Be sure to boil the marinade before each additional use.

Filling:
5 bunches of scallions, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons of white miso
1 teaspoon of mirin or white wine
1 teaspoon of rice or maple syrup
10 green scallion parts, blanched
Nori sheets, optional

Heat the toasted sesame oil on a skillet and add the scallions. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes on medium heat until they become soft and becoming translucent. Turn the heat down to low and add the remaining ingredients except the blanched scallion greens) incorporating the scallions into the miso. Heat through for 2 minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
Make Asandwiches@ with the tofu slices, slathering one piece of tofu with the miso scallion mixture and placing another piece of tofu on top. Cut the sandwiches in half for hors d=oeuvres size or leave whole for main course. If desired, place a piece of nori on top of the tofu Asandwich@. Tie the piece together to form a package with the blanched scallion ribbons. Serve at room temperature.

if you like mexican flavors try this that i threw together last night with some ordinary pantry ingredients.

slice and pat dry a block of extra firm tofu (not silken)
make a marinade consisting of
about 1 1/2 cups of milk
one 3 ounce can of green chiles
a few dashes of hot sauce
about 1 1/2 tablespoons of cumin
freshly ground pepper,
a few pinches of salt

soak the tofu slices in the marinade for at least a few hours (i think mine were in there for about 4 hours. if you dont have that much time, double all of the marinade ingredients except for the milk)
heat oven to 375. place slices of tofu on baking rack over a cookie sheet. strain some of the chiles from the marinade and pile them on top :) grind pepper to taste over tops. bake for 20-25 minutes or until tofu is slightly brown.
open one can of chunky tomato sauce and add cumin to taste. pour it on!
i added some mexican blend shredded cheese to the top. mmmmm yummy :)

my all time favorite veg cookbook is the vegetarian meat and potatoes cookbook by robin robertson. meals even cavemen carnivores will enjoy. :) wonderful tofu recipes!
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...103-0365960-5140672?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Psst--make something and tell him it's chicken... the chicken from Boca is really good! Haha, I know, not that great of an idea, but oh well. Congrats!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.