Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Did You Meet Your First Guinea Pig(s)?

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
I want to know how you met your first guinea pig and entered this wonderful world of guinea pigs.

I met my first guinea pig, Frosty, when I was working at a shelter. She came in with her two sisters, mother, and father. At the time, I had no idea I would be adopting her myself.

As the weeks went by I watched as her two sisters were adopted together at a month old, then her mother, then her father. But little Frosty, being white with pink eyes, many thought she was "creepy" and didn't want to adopt her (also, her photo on the shelter website didn't do her any justice). After about a month (she was two months by then), I got the duty of cleaning her cage, so I did. After I cleaned it, Frosty did the cutest little hop (called popcorning as I soon learned). I couldn't get that cute little hop out of my head afterwards and ended up adopting her a week later. Today, Frosty is now three years old and living happily with her buddy, Penny and her soon-to-be-roommates Penelope and Snowball.

kcake67

Cavy Slave
I got my first pig, Batman, at Petco. This was before I knew of guinea pig finder, petfinder, etc. He is a real sweetheart who is the loudest little thing! Then I got pumpkin from a woman who found out she was allergic.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
That's a very cute story! Lucky Frosty.

I first met a piggy when I was six, and my brother was in preschool. His preschool had a class pet piggy named Daisy, and my family volunteered to care for her over a couple of school breaks. I absolutely loved her, and checked out all the books about guinea pigs from the local library, and soon became quite a little expert (although the cage sizes that were recommended then were far too small). For my seventh birthday, we then adopted a pair of brothers from a shelter. (Back then I didn't know how babies happened, so the next time we pet-sat Daisy I was afraid she'd get pregnant from being able to smell the boys- lol!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllaBella

Cavy Gazer
I met my Lola and Bella when I was looking at hermit crabs at Pet Smart when I get side tracked this is just no hope. Any way my mom walked off and came back with a cage in her cart. Then she asked me which ones I wanted, so here I am a two day owner of two amazing little girls.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
When I turned 13 (a very very long time ago) my Mom bought me the cutest little baby guinea pig at a pet store, I had instantly fallen in love with her at the store and named her Domino. Sadly she passed away a few days later.
So my Mom bought 2 older guinea pigs from a different pet store. I named them Edward and Margaret (after my grandparents, lol).
The pet store told my Mom they couldn't have babies until they were older. Well, of course we now know that's not true and Margaret had 2 pups on Valentine's Day. They were adorable!
Edward and Margaret lived apart after that, and the 2 babies went to live with friends once they weaned.
I didn't have any more guinea pigs until 2013 when someone at work was looking to rehome their daughter's. I adopted him (Ferb) and had him neutered. He now has 2 female companions and they live in a 5x2 c&c cage. They are very spoiled.
Now I can't believe I went so many years without having guinea pigs as pets!

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
My first Guinea I meet her in a petshop and I fall in love with her at first sight. She had 3 years and half and was abandoned. The seller told me that she was in many petshops for selling her and had a sad story. It was a mishap it until I bought her... first i did not had all the money they asked for her and i had to go home and come back quickly because they were about to close. When I come back one of the sellers didn't wanted to sell her anymore... But I took it :)))
My surprise when i get home with her was that she was very smart, she was a very well trained pig. For me she was the smartest and the most beautiful piggy ever.
Sadly I lost her this year because of a vet at the age of 7 years and 3 months :(

piglet12

Cavy Slave
I met my first piggies (smokey was black and zoom was white,brown and black) when my best friend ( we were around 8) got them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Thirty years ago. Small privately own pet store. I got the female and named her Muffin and my sister got the male and named him Leo.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Hmmm......I'm not going to say how many years ago, but it was definitely more than 30 yrs. I seem to recall buying a pair of females from a pet store. By our standards today, they were kept in abysmal conditions.......small cage or cardboard box and fed pellets, hay, and probably iceberg lettuce. And, oh yes, they were Abbys. :love: I never forgot them and when it finally came time to have cavies again, of course I went looking for Abbys.

I did one thing right. They were regularly permitted to have the run of the house when we were home. I recall my husband and I would crawl on hands-and-knees and chase them through the apartment. They would run at top speed and slide on the hardwood floor to avoid running into the wall, turn around and tear back to the cage. We would play with them like this.....two tall adults crawling on the floor chasing two small furry rodents. They loved it and would go crazy when we got home from work to tell us that it was floor time.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Long, loooong ago (If I have to guess, it would have been around the time the first Star Wars movie came out) myself and my two siblings each got a guinea pig. I know now that they were all female, but since I was a boy and since the show Hammy Hamster was popular at the time, my pigs name was GP. My sisters was, of course, Princess. And my brother named his Feldman. He was named after Wrong Way Feldman from the show Gilligan's Island.

My boar Sly looks very similar to the GP I had as a child, kind of why I picked him.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Diego suffered some at the hands of poor knowledge, but I got him when I was 12ish. He was around 2 or 3 and stuck back in a petstore. We used an old plastic-style dog crate as a cage and then my dad built a 5ft X 2ft run that he always had access to. He was such a sweet cuddly boy. All black with a streak of reddish brown on his nose. And when I would come home he would run back and forth in the wooden run, wheeking, ready to play.

fluffbutt

Cavy Slave
I love reading how everyone got their first piggy!

I was living by myself in an apartment at uni, about three years ago. I wasn't allowed any animals, but I was very lonely living on my own, so tossed up the idea of a guinea pig. One day my partner and I were just wandering through an independent pet shop for fun when we saw Stevie and his brother, and instantly fell in love. The lady at the pet shop would only sell me one of the brothers, as she said "boys don't get along, you can't have more than one".... (Silly me - if only I had researched first!)

Stevie now has two male cage mates, and is happy as pie. He's my cuddliest guinea pig, and is constantly asking for human attention and pats. He made me fall in love with these little pets <3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.