Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

support for the second level?

jacblades

Cavy Slave
note: my cage is very far from being finished so dont bash it yet. i just wanted to go ahead and put the piggies in so they wouldnt have to be in teeny pet store cages anymore.

my cage is still in the process of being made but the pigs are in it anyways... (right now all i have is the 2x4 part. i need to add more coroplast to complete my "L")
i just added the second level and it seems rather flimsy to me. i have bunjee cords holding it but it still doesnt seem sturdy. the pigs dont seem to mind but it bothers me. i dont want to add grids below it because i dont want to break up the space down there.

here is a picture of what it looks like right now. the 2 gray mesh grids in the right side of the picture are just there to keep the pigs out of the area which doesnt have coroplast yet.
the ramp is also temporary untill i find something better (not as thick)
i also think it needs to be moved but i cant really figure out where.

i would also like to build a cage for my rabbit to go on top of the cage. i have no idea how i am going to do that though...
any suggestions (on anything) are welcome.
thanks in advance
+jac+

support for the second level?

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I use the grids to make supports. Take a look at my previous cage that I will post now. I used grids as my support and it is better than bungie cords. It is not safe at all. https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2017&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1. Hope this works for ya. You have the piggies and bunnies during floor time. Thats what I do just as long as you are there keeping an eye on them so none of them gets hurt. I think it is cool to do that cause one of my girl piggie follows my bunnies around.

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I use pieces of small pipping to support my second level. You just have to cut it 14" high and maybe cut little grooves in the top so that the grids on the second level can rest right in it. If it is cut to the right measurements it holds up the second level great. This way, nothing would interfere with their running space, as the pipping should only really be one inch in diameter or so.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Yep, 1 1/2"-2" inch PVC piping would work great as support beams. You can just use a jigsaw or circular saw to cut it to size, or have them cut it for you at Home Depot or Lowe's and add some grooves for the grids to rest in. It's an inexpensive and easy material to work with.

As far as building a rabbit cage on top of the guinea pig cage, I personally think it is MUCH more sensible to build it the other way around (guinea pig cage on top of rabbit cage). My reasoning is this: the rabbit needs an entirely enclosed cage with more levels, while the guinea pig cage can remain open. So put the rabbit cage under the guinea pig cage, with doors that open out for cleaning. I'd make the bunny cage at least 3 grids high x 4 grids wide, which would allow your pig cage to rest nicely on top of it. Also the pigs are smaller and would make fine upstairs neighbors, as opposed to a large rabbit thumping about and scaring the pigs below. Just my opinion!

jacblades

Cavy Slave
Poohbear said:
The cage is to small. Get the bunny out.
obviously you did not read my post. please READ it and then respond. that is typical forum etiquette.

the pvc pipes sound like good ideas. i hope i can get someone at home depot to cut them for me. they dont ever seem to have anyone around when needed... :(

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pooh, jac stated that this is a temporary measure. I also don't remember jac stating that there was a bunny living in the cage with the pigs.

I would much rather see the pigs in a temporary 2x4 than stuck in tiny pet store cages. How many pigs do you have Jac and what will be the finished size of your cage?

jacblades

Cavy Slave
pooh, i should not have to repeat my post when it is there for you to read but here is a recap of what i said:
do not bash the cage. it is not done yet.
it is a temporary fix for a problem (small pet store cages)

i hope that is simple enough for you to understand.

ly-the rabbit was in the cage at the time the picture was taken (i put her in there when i do 'veggie time') my gallery has some pics of her in there.

i have 9 pigs, 8 of which are in the cage right now (3 are babies that will soon be given away) before i get bashed again, no-i did not breed my pigs. i bought 2 pigs that were already pregnant. (i get my guinea pigs from the reptile show where they sell them as feeders for large snakes, monitors and other reptiles. i know pregnant ones are a hot commodity for snake owners so i snatched them up as soon as i saw them. 4 babies have already been given away.)
anyways- the 5 adults are females, 1 baby girl and 2 baby boys (the boys are seperated from everyone now as they have started displaying mounting behavior)

so once the babies are given away, it will be 5 piggies. i am considering getting my male neutered so he can be with them too. it's just torture for him sitting next to their cage not being able to get in :)

so far-i am cleaning out the cage every 2 days. that is as long as i can go without it begining to get damp. i am getting some vetbeds soon since apsen is getting expensive (even with my discount at work)

right now-the base of the cage is 2x4 with the 2x1 "l" shape. i plan to upgrade it when i figure out what shape works best. i just threw this thing together once i found the c&c.
thanks
+jac+

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I am not bashing your cage, but you will deffinatly need a MUCH bigger cage for 8 pigs. I know it is only temporary but you need to keep that in mind. YOu will also need a roomy cage for the male guinea pig and any male babies after they are three weeks. But it is much better than a petstore cage. Maybe using the connecters will make the cage much more sturdy.
Also, have a look at (broken link removed) for a great pelleted feed for you pigs.

Sorry I didn't read it correct, they already had the babies, so forget all the stuff about the pups I said. Hmm, literacy is a great thing

jacblades

Cavy Slave
literacy is a great thing :)
cage will be for 5 pigs, possibly 6.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
For my for boys I have a 4X5, you will want something that size you could go smaller since you have mainly females.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I personally dont think putting any kind of cage on top of this one would work. It will make the cage under it extremely dark. Your bunny will be living in darkness.

I have 3 levels and I dont need any support. If the bottom grids are tight and secure ,all other grids on top should follow suite, make sure you use alot of those plastic tie connectors and those round plastic thingys.

Your cage looks good. Is the loft 1x4 going to connect to the L shape part, (come all the way around)? I would when you are done take the grey screen down and remove the one green grid that is dividing the L from the rest and leave the ramp where it is. You will have to put the rest of the grids up on the other side of the 1x4 so they dont fall off. I hope you understood all that.

Anyway, looks great

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.